Discuss Replacing Fused Switches with Sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Completely untrained amateur here sorry! I am looking to successfully replace two fused double pole fused switches with sockets. The two fused switches are located in a double box and are each connected to a three core cable - both switches are also interconnected. I would like to replace one or both switches with sockets but I am not sure what connections need to be made. I can simply substitute the switches for sockets maintaining all connections but I am not sure this is correct. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Completely untrained amateur here sorry! I am looking to successfully replace two fused double pole fused switches with sockets. The two fused switches are located in a double box and are each connected to a three core cable - both switches are also interconnected. I would like to replace one or both switches with sockets but I am not sure what connections need to be made. I can simply substitute the switches for sockets maintaining all connections but I am not sure this is correct. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
You would first need to find how the switches are wired, what size cable, what size OCPD (fuse) For fear of getting my --- kicked by another member (you know who you are)the advice I would give you is to get an Electrician to give the job a once over and quote for the work, including a certificate to follow,

Theoretically yes you should be able to replace each with a one gang socket but whether the existing circuit is correct/safe/compliant is not something we can necessarily judge.

You would first need to find how the switches are wired, what size cable, what size OCPD (fuse) For fear of getting my --- kicked by another member (you know who you are)the advice I would give you is to get an Electrician to give the job a once over and quote for the work, including a certificate to follow,

I can and will do that if the job proves more complicated than I think it should be - I just need to understand what might be involved. The switches are 13A fused and are adjacent to a wall mounted TV point but there is no corresponding unstitched socket.

If I did replace each switch with a 1-gang socket would I maintain the interconnect between switches/sockets?
It sounds like they are part of a ring final circuit and if so then yes. Do you have any idea if this circuit has rcd protection. A pic of your consumer unit and the wiring to these switches would be handy, isolate the circuit first of course.

Trust me I get all of the advice and safety issues - on the face of it, it seems a simple task to replace a fused switch that goes nowhere with a socket and fused plug that feeds my TV - if it were water I could replace a stop cock with a tap and an outlet easy enough, the principle is largely the same - but, if it really truly does need an electrician then I'll get one. The reason I asked the question was not prove how dumb I am or how smart you all are; simply to get advice.

Welcome to the forum mate.
It sounds like your knowledge of domestic electrics is very limited. I'm with @Pete999 on this and think its wiser and safer to get an electrician in.

Trust me I get all of the advice and safety issues - on the face of it, it seems a simple task to replace a fused switch that goes nowhere with a socket and fused plug that feeds my TV - if it were water I could replace a stop cock with a tap and an outlet easy enough, the principle is largely the same - but, if it really truly does need an electrician then I'll get one. The reason I asked the question was not prove how dumb I am or how smart you all are; simply to get advice.
Peter, with respect you have good advice, take it

if it were water I could replace a stop cock with a tap and an outlet easy enough, the principle is largely the same - but, if it really truly does need an electrician then I'll get one. The reason I asked the question was not prove how dumb I am or how smart you all are; simply to get advice.

If it was a gas pipe that you wanted to tap into would you do the job yourself?

Can you advise if there are any cables connected to the load side of the two FCUs?

Does anything stop working when you switch them off and remove the fuses?

Reply to Replacing Fused Switches with Sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net