Discuss Replacing Landing Switch - need some help please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mungo

Hi I hope someone can help. Im trying to replace my landing light switch. The wires I have are two red, two black and one brown. The landing switch works on its own and can also be turned on and off in the hall downstairs. I have wired the new switch, a 1 gang 2 way the same as my old switch but if you turn it on from the hall, you cant turn it off in the landing. Ive gone back to the old switch and it still works so I cant work out what im doing wrong. Any help would be gratefully received as I want to do it before hubby gets home so I can prove im not just "a woman". Many thanks in advance. Josie :0)

Have a look at the connections on the back of the switches they will be marked C L1 L2. Just copy from the old to the new. Please switch off you consumer unit, be safe!

Ive just looked on the wickes website and they dont do an intermediate switch in this range - but thanks for all your help :0)

Look at the switch yo have and replace with nice new white 1 with same terminals on the back.. Hopefuly should work, unless somone as wired this in a way only them understand.... Did you actualy note which came from which terminal... You need exact same terminals my friend....................... If you want light at the end of the tunnel

You only need a intermediate if you have 3 floors or more so you should be fine, as tony said dont just swap visually like for like, actually check the terminal designation!! if you have any problems then post a picture.

So I dont need an intermediate - thats good. Right ive rewired it exactly the same as my old one and it turns on and off indpenedantly BUT if I turn it on from the hall downstairs and then run upstairs and try to turn it off it just stays on - arrgghh. I thought it would be easy to do! Sod it - housework and cooking is what im good at - sod the electrics!

Landing Switch
COM = 2 x black
1 WAY = Red & Red
2 WAY = Brown

Hall Way Switch
COM = Red
COM = Brown
1 WAY = Black
1 WAY = Red
2 WAY = Black

Hope that makes sense :0)

Hi all - High Tower you were correct we didnt need an intermediate switch we just needed to swap the two blacks with the brown and hey presto it worked. Cheers x

I=p/u, please don't show your inexperience, a intermediate can only be used in a 3 way situation as it has to be accompanied by a 2 way at the start and a 2 way at the end regardless to weather it's 2 plate or 3 plate.

Forgot to add, well done mungo AKA Josie. This has proved one thing about this board, you came and honesty said you’d got your self out of your depth and the guys rallied around. we get some who try to use BS to get help and get shot down in flames.

I=p/u, please don't show your inexperience, a intermediate can only be used in a 3 way situation as it has to be accompanied by a 2 way at the start and a 2 way at the end regardless to weather it's 2 plate or 3 plate.
Yes but if you have more than 2 switches controlling the same light or group of lights then only 2 of them can be 2 way, the rest will need to be intermediate, regardless of how many stories there are in your house.

You could have a bungalow or single storey flat where the hall light is controlled by a switch by the front door, a switch by the lounge door and a switch by the bedroom door; one will be an intermediate.

... Or if you were really lazy you could have your bedroom lights controlled by a switch by the door, and one on either side of the bed. Again, 3 switches, one of which is an intermediate.

Reply to Replacing Landing Switch - need some help please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net