Discuss Replacing plastic light switch with metal type in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I need to replace some plastic light switches and would like to use metal replacements. The old switches had no provision for an earth wire and most of them had a sleeved unconnected earth wire which I was able to utilise. However, in three of the back-boxes the earth wire was cut short, is it ok to strip back the outer sheath a bit and join a new earth wire on (and sleeve it)? And can I safely use a crimp to do this? Thanks.

Are the short ones terminated to the back boxes if so just link another cpc from the box terminal to the front plate. You should also test continuity of the cpcs.

Ideal SpliceLine In-Line Wire Connectors Pack of 100 - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/ideal-spliceline-in-line-wire-connectors-pack-of-100/72727 try these .

Are the short ones terminated to the back boxes if so just link another cpc from the box terminal to the front plate. You should also test continuity of the cpcs.
No, the long ones were just floating around and the short ones were cut off level with where the grey outer insulation ends.

No, the long ones were just floating around and the short ones were cut off level with where the grey outer insulation ends.
Might be difficult to joint if they are so short, is it possible to pull any slack down the wall and have you verified they have continuity.

Might be difficult to joint if they are so short, is it possible to pull any slack down the wall and have you verified they have continuity.
Thankfully there is enough slack, so I should be able to use a crimp or the inline connector Buzz has mentioned above. It hadn't occurred to me that there might not be continuity so I'll have to test that on them all.

Don't the existing back boxes have earth terminals. Those connectors Buzz showed are quite large if they are 16mm deep boxes.

could always get the soldering iron out.

Don't the existing back boxes have earth terminals. Those connectors Buzz showed are quite large if they are 16mm deep boxes.
Yes I might have to use red crimps - just wasn't sure if they are considered a good solution. Can't see a terminal in the boxes.

Yes I might have to use red crimps - just wasn't sure if they are considered a good solution. Can't see a terminal in the boxes.
They are fine as long as the crimping tool goes in the back box.

Reply to Replacing plastic light switch with metal type in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net