Discuss Replacing shower in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Was wondering how many sparks when asked to replace/install new shower do the complete job(plumbing work as well as electrical).

I've quite happily installed the lot in my own house but I can't imagine my PL insurance covers me if i caused a leak in a customers property.

Obviously the proper way would be to get plumber and spark in at the same time but that's one hell of an expensive shower replacement for Mrs Jones.

I normally just run a feed to the isolator if a new one then run a feed to where the shower is, as far as leaving it safe to connect to, i dont like to leave a live cable hanging out the wall so generally speaking I wait for the plumber, or I fit the shower but not connect the water.

When i have these jobs on i call my old man to come and do the plumbing, we try and do it on saturdays when we can take a dive on a wage and tske like 3/4 of a days wage each then. Sometimes you get lucky and there are other jobs in the property to be done one the same day so we stay out of eachothers way and earn a full day each then

I normally just run a feed to the isolator if a new one then run a feed to where the shower is, as far as leaving it safe to connect to, i dont like to leave a live cable hanging out the wall so generally speaking I wait for the plumber, or I fit the shower but not connect the water.

Yeh i'd do the same but was wandering more along the lines of just a straight like for like swap or fitting a different model where pipe connections would need adjusting. not sure if i'd like to mess about with the pipe work
cheers

yeah its always a tricky one as I kind of stand my ground and say im not a plumber, you will need to get one to do that. I know it doesn't help the customer but as you say, does your insurance cover you flooding someones house out? I know mine probably doesn't.

I have had a few shower jobs lately, just been to look at another just yesterday, the plumber calls me (I dont know him) and says its a new fuse box, on the back side of the wall to where the shower needs to be, so im thinking, ok sounds easy enough. I turn up and see a Vynckier board, never heard of them, doesn't look great.

1.jpg

Anyway, two main switches, so that got me thinking, that doesn't seem right, opened it up, and switched it all on and there was no power at all to the switch on the left or breakers on the left, and looked on the case and it said heaters. This is in a small block of flats, so then im thining i bet its on a time clock thathe has no access to.

Anyway, the plumber says just connect the shower to it, i need it doing. I think a new board would be better to be honest, but anyway... what I was thinking was to take a shower CU straight off the main switch where the tails enter and stick it next to it, but then he says he has no access to the the meter or cutout as that's inside someone else's apartment... great! i think ill just leave this job as its going to be too much hassle for not much money.

I've quite happily installed the lot in my own house but I can't imagine my PL insurance covers me if i caused a leak in a customers property.

I have this issue as I do a variety of work, although it's mostly electrical at the moment. Previously on my insurance I had 'electrical contractor' as my primary trade, with 'property maintenance/ handyman' (I think) as a secondary trade. My current insurance is split over several trades, proportioned by turnover, i.e. electrical 75%, plumbing 10%, carpentry 5%, etc. It doesn't work out particularly expensive, and at least there's a good chance of being covered if I need to claim.

As far as showers go, I try to get the customer to go for a straight swap if possible, otherwise there's a good chance of having to mess up the tiles. The worst ones are where the existing shower has been mounted straight on the wall and then the tiles fitted round it. Sometimes almost impossible even to access the cover screws.

... the plumber calls me (I dont know him) and says its a new fuse box...

Yeah, about 20 years ago.

...what I was thinking was to take a shower CU straight off the main switch where the tails enter and stick it next to it, but then he says he has no access to the the meter or cutout...

If the supply is up to it, you could fit an additional MCB in the existing board and then an RCD in a separate 2-module enclosure.

That's not a bad idea, i didn't even think put an MCB in to feed a sub board, i did that the other week for someone as well. I think ill do that, do you know or anyone else know what MCB's will fit in this unit nicely?

I have this issue as I do a variety of work, although it's mostly electrical at the moment. Previously on my insurance I had 'electrical contractor' as my primary trade, with 'property maintenance/ handyman' (I think) as a secondary trade. My current insurance is split over several trades, proportioned by turnover, i.e. electrical 75%, plumbing 10%, carpentry 5%, etc. It doesn't work out particularly expensive, and at least there's a good chance of being covered if I need to claim.

As far as showers go, I try to get the customer to go for a straight swap if possible, otherwise there's a good chance of having to mess up the tiles. The worst ones are where the existing shower has been mounted straight on the wall and then the tiles fitted round it. Sometimes almost impossible even to access the cover screws.

never even occurred to me i could get cover for plumbing work too, i'll look into that. cheers

yes you can add second trades on my one, just didnt think I would bother as Im not a plumber etc.. before you know it you end up being Handy Andy the odd job man and not a skilled person who sticks to one trade.

I do the plumbing to showers myself as I was trained to do it in the mid-eighties by my old firm - was also taught how to wipe in an immersion heater flange to a cylinder (using lead-based solder and a cotton pad) before they came ready installed. Only do showers and immersion heater replacements mind, nothing else.

Im more than happy doing my own plumbing and handy work, but I don't do it for people who I don't know. My plumbing skills and handy work are pretty good, competent DIYer if you know what I mean, but think I have to draw the line somewhere. I guess each situation is different, I would if I had to I suppose.

yeah its always a tricky one as I kind of stand my ground and say im not a plumber, you will need to get one to do that. I know it doesn't help the customer but as you say, does your insurance cover you flooding someones house out? I know mine probably doesn't.

I have had a few shower jobs lately, just been to look at another just yesterday, the plumber calls me (I dont know him) and says its a new fuse box, on the back side of the wall to where the shower needs to be, so im thinking, ok sounds easy enough. I turn up and see a Vynckier board, never heard of them, doesn't look great.

View attachment 21117

Anyway, two main switches, so that got me thinking, that doesn't seem right, opened it up, and switched it all on and there was no power at all to the switch on the left or breakers on the left, and looked on the case and it said heaters. This is in a small block of flats, so then im thining i bet its on a time clock thathe has no access to.

Anyway, the plumber says just connect the shower to it, i need it doing. I think a new board would be better to be honest, but anyway... what I was thinking was to take a shower CU straight off the main switch where the tails enter and stick it next to it, but then he says he has no access to the the meter or cutout as that's inside someone else's apartment... great! i think ill just leave this job as its going to be too much hassle for not much money.
the breakers look very much the same as MK, for which there's even an RCBO available in 40A, 45A or 50A. would save alot of hassle if they fit

before you know it you end up being Handy Andy the odd job man and not a skilled person who sticks to one trade.

Yes, I suppose that's a risk. However, I don't see the time spent on other stuff detracts from my abilities as an electrician and some customers are happy to pay good money if it saves them getting more than one tradesman in. Also, I charge the same rate, whether its diagnosing an electrical fault or fixing shelves to a wall.

Yes, I suppose that's a risk. However, I don't see the time spent on other stuff detracts from my abilities as an electrician and some customers are happy to pay good money if it saves them getting more than one tradesman in. Also, I charge the same rate, whether its diagnosing an electrical fault or fixing shelves to a wall.

Yes I guess so, it all depends on each situation, if I thought I could do it and make a good job of it then I probably would, but if it falls outside of what I feel capable of, then ill not do so.

If its simple enough and you are confident and competent to do so they why not, extra few quid in your pocket and customer knows you can do other things aswel.

Reply to Replacing shower in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net