Discuss Replacing storage heaters with panel heaters in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

kingeri

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Got a job coming up replacing 3 old storage heaters with panel heaters. Customer is coming off E7. Had a look today and was expecting the usual 3 x 16A MCBs, but found that all 3 heaters are on a single 6mm^2 circuit. There is an 850W unit, a 2.55kW and a 3.4kW one sitting on a 32A MCB. I have never seen storage heaters installed like this. If nothing else, loads greater than 2kW should be on dedicated circuits. The loading of the panel heaters is going to be similar, 29A ish, although the load won't as punishing due to cycling on and off and not all being on continuously for hours. I haven't decided if I am happy to do the change with this circuit as it is. Mind you I haven't tested the cable yet either. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Would depend on volt drop calculation being OK and terminating 2x 6.0mm cables in a 13a FCU. Otherwise despite being unconventional I would have thought it OK. Clearly the 3.4kw storage heater should not be on a 13a FCU nor a 20a dp switch as it would then be fused at 32a. but as long as your panel heaters can be on 13a FCU's....

Yeah thanks for that. I think volt drop will be fine as the circuit isn't overly long. Probably just over thinking. Which at least is better than under thinking! Looked like a JB arrangement so fingers crossed only one cable per FCU.

A bit of food for thought for you and customer , put time clock, thermostat and contractor in
You should get a more controlled heat , also save the customer a fortune in the long run , in fact some of these modern heaters also have pir’s in them so if no one in the room it turns off or down to a set temp for eco or boost etc

A bit of food for thought for you and customer , put time clock, thermostat and contractor in
You should get a more controlled heat , also save the customer a fortune in the long run , in fact some of these modern heaters also have pir’s in them so if no one in the room it turns off or down to a set temp for eco or boost etc
Can get heaters with Clock and Thermostat built in which would be better as heating is zoned.

Install a 20 amp double pole switch for the 3.4kw heater and wire the heater in 2.5mm heat resistant flex as a 2.5 3 core flex will have adequate fault protection on a 32 amp type b or c mcb at 6ka.(think a 2.5 spur from a ring protected by a 32amp mcb and there will be no overload protection requirement for the heater)
Hager anyway give an I2t let thorough energy at 18ka for disconnection times under 0.1 seconds (other manufacturers may give slightly different values tho)so gives a minimum 1.5mm size for compliance

Not sure any manufacturer of 20A switches suggest 12mm of conductor to be connected at their terminals, or FCUs come to that??

Can get heaters with Clock and Thermostat built in which would be better as heating is zoned.
We fit a lot of electric heating in temp buildings and relying on stat built into the heater just doesn’t seem accurate and we find the heater it self lasts a lot longer when an external stat is controlling all the switching , if you fit a stat central it will work like conventional heating system and give an average reading if you place the stat in the correct position
But suppose all depends on quality of the heater , where does it mention zoned heating in thread ?

We fit a lot of electric heating in temp buildings and relying on stat built into the heater just doesn’t seem accurate and we find the heater it self lasts a lot longer when an external stat is controlling all the switching , if you fit a stat central it will work like conventional heating system and give an average reading if you place the stat in the correct position
But suppose all depends on quality of the heater , where does it mention zoned heating in thread ?
I think I have side tracked from the original question

Install a 20 amp double pole switch for the 3.4kw heater and wire the heater in 2.5mm heat resistant flex as a 2.5 3 core flex will have adequate fault protection on a 32 amp type b or c mcb at 6ka.(think a 2.5 spur from a ring protected by a 32amp mcb and there will be no overload protection requirement for the heater)
Hager anyway give an I2t let thorough energy at 18ka for disconnection times under 0.1 seconds (other manufacturers may give slightly different values tho)so gives a minimum 1.5mm size for compliance
Thanks but the ratings I gave were for the existing storage heaters. The new ones I think will be 2 x 2kW and 1 x 3kW.

So I am here at this job now and I wondered if anyone can answer this. Attempting to replace a carp taped up joint that I found under the floorboards with a MF alternative. 3 x 6mm^2 T&E to be jointed. Got a Wagobox and was going to use 3 x 773-173 connectors, as they will take up to 6mm stranded as well as the 2.5mm CPCs, and are rated at 32A when used MF. Snag is, the Wagobox will only physically take 2 of these. So I have used 2 of them for line and neutral and a 773-104 for the CPCs. This is rated at 20A when used MF. Does this sound okay?

Considering the cpc is designed to take fault current only up to a fraction of a second or 0.4 seconds max in this instance I would say this is fine if they are connected in a 20 amp rated joint.
Most fault currents are plus 100 amps anyway on a low enough zs and considering a b type 32 amp mcb needs at least 3-5x 32 amps to trip between 0.1-5 seconds.

What’s the arrangement?
Is it a single 6mm from the db then 2x 6mm feeding a heater each from the single 6mm?

Last edited:
Cheers Ian for the reassurance. The 6mm goes from the CU to a JB under the living room floor where it splits to feed the 3kW heater, then carries on upstairs where it splits to feed the 2 x 2kW heaters. Managed to get that joint in a back box with blanking plate but used Wagos again.

Reply to Replacing storage heaters with panel heaters in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock