Discuss Replacing supply to garage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi there.
I am not an electrician and ask this question of your forum.
My house needs rewiring as the cables although not perished are the type fitted in the 1960s and the lighting circuit is not earthed. The house CU is around 20 years old(Professionally installed) and the house is protected by a RCD between the Meter and CU, so if it trips the whole house supply is shut off.
I have lived in the house for over 35 years and one of the first jobs I undertook when moving in was to run a supply to a detached garage for a light and a double socket.
At the time I ran the supply cable in 2.5M twin and earth and to reach the garage it was buried in steel conduit.
Well time has moved on and having read all about Part P and the like I am aware of the need to have a qualified electrician carry out CU work and new circuits.
As mentioned it is my intention to have the house rewired late this year which will include work within the garage.
My issue is around some work I am having carried out on the garden which will result in digging up the area near the garage.This will enable me to replace the old supply cable with 6mm 3 core SWA.
Obviously I would like to connect this cable to the small junction box I have in the garage and the other end to the CU.
In the garage, from the junction box I installed a 6A fuse switch for the light feed, the double socket sits protected by the house CU trip switch which is 16A.
I appreciate a new CU will have the built in RCDs when replaced along with a CU in the garage
In preparation for the amount of work I will undertake in the house renovation I am looking to instal another twin socket for tool charging and running small power tools from the socket (chop saw)
The question I ask is am I allowed to instal the SWA myself and not breach the Part P regulations and not need a certificate.
I will be earthing the SWA at the house CU both from the core cable and the SWA outer covering.
Many thanks in anticipation for any advice.

Last edited:
You need to inspect, test and certify in accordance with the wiring regulations regardless of whether part P notification is required or not.

Inspection and testing is an essential part of compliance with the wiring regulations and without carrying it out correctly you could be left with a dangerous installation.

PG can I suggest in order to do the job you require safely you employ the services of an Electrician, it will be safer and more benificial for you in the long run.
I'm all for saving money where possible , but in this case, you need proffesional help, and good luck.

If you intend a full rewire later in the year then carry on with the 2.5 which exists and when you hire the electrician to rewire, work with him/her to dig and install the calculated cable. They will have seen 1st fix and second and test it to add to your certificate of electrical loveliness and notify.
Ps that is possibly the nicest avatar I’ve seen in a long time and not a pet in sight, except for the chick of course!

The ideal solution for a new cable to the garage is directly from the house CU to the new garage CU....... avoiding ALL unnecessary joints

As for fuseboards - save up a little extra and have a RCBO board fitted.

My advice to you is to get a spark engaged, sooner rather than later...

Many thanks for the quick responses. OK shall get someone to carry out all the fix at rewire have .
As the dig is taking place from tomorrow it is sensible to lay the SWA and then back fill ready for electrician to connect up in due course. ( having the patio and drive block paved) do not want to dig this up later
From some of the answers am I understanding that the electrician would need to lay the SWA or would they just see that its installed. I am digging down .75m to lay will sand and cover with cable notice.

any sensible plastic tube will suffice. for a 6.0mm SWA cable, something with an internal diameter of 1" is fine, but no sharp bends.

The ducting is a good idea as if you require any additional cables, like phone, ethernet or alarm cables, then these can be put in as well at any time. Just leave a pull core in.

The ducting is a good idea as if you require any additional cables, like phone, ethernet or alarm cables, then these can be put in as well at any time. Just leave a pull core in.
You would need a separate duct then, as they are ELV.

Not if SWA, doesn’t that act as a screened cable? (In this instance)

If they are screened and insulation rated to mains voltage then there shouldn't be a problem.
Yes, but without knowing what cable will be used I suspect the cheapest option will be the most likely. Many of these cables are only rated for 50V.

Yes, but without knowing what cable will be used I suspect the cheapest option will be the most likely. Many of these cables are only rated for 50V.

There’s nothing wrong with putting a 50V insulated cable next to an insulated and sheathed LV cable, however you can’t put it next to an unsheathed LV cable.

Hi all its me again.
Having had your initial advise and intending to get some conduit tomorrow. I have had a call from an electrician through my builder.com, when I sought interest re rewire.
During conversation I was informed that replacing the cable to the garage was not notifiable under part P as it is a replacement of existing cable.
I looked up a guide on Elecsa -NICEIC and it quotes
'All other electrical installation work is non notifiable - namely additions and alterations to existing installations outside special locations, and replacements, repairs and maintenance anywhere.'

confused I am

Reply to Replacing supply to garage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock