Discuss Replacing two gang switch with Sonoff Smart Switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello

I have replaced three of these switches (single switch) in my home with no issues, but looking for advice on the two gang version.

I have two ceiling lights and two wall lights with a dimmer for each as per below.

There is a live going into COM on each dimmer with a small loop wire running across both COMs. There is then a live going into L1 and also L1 on the other dimmer unit.

The loop cable has thrown me and looking to see what I would put in the L, L1 and L2 of the Sonoff unit.

Many thanks

Replacing two gang switch with Sonoff Smart Switch IMG_0462 - EletriciansForums.net

Keep me posted. I'm in the market for such. :)

Its probably like this pic.
Replacing two gang switch with Sonoff Smart Switch Screenshot 2018-08-28 21.05.48 - EletriciansForums.net
Ss, the two red wires that are in the L1 terminals on the dimmer, those are the switched lives out to the lights. So, one in L1 and one in L2 on the smartswitch.
That leaves you with the reds in the C terminals. Put the two reds into the L in terminal on the smartswitch. Thats your live in. throw away the red link wire.

Then you need to connect up the neutral to the smartswitch. Thats the blacks on the terminal block in the back box. Better to run a new single bit of black or blue wire for this, you'll not cram all three into the smart switch N terminal.

Do tell us if it works.

EDIT: you'll probably need a deeper box.

Man of your calibre would have Lurton, loxone, RAKO, Crestron etc surely? :)

Don't be daft, I've just getting into app's on my iPhone! I've moved into a newbuild, and trying to work out how to install a 3 circuit track with one switch. Looking at Click Smart.

Wouldn't you use satellite shotgun cable?
I mean, if it's sawn-off?

Time for bed...sorry!

This looks like a "loop in system" at the switch. So you have 1 t&e feed in. 1 t&e feed out (to other switches) and 1 t&e to each light.

The loop wire within the switch is taking the live in from the first switch to the second and then out to the rest of the circuit.

If you leave that loop out then you will probably find that one of the switches and one or more lights are not working.

If you split the neutrals across the two switches then you will need to put a loop in there as well.

Good luck.

Its probably like this pic.
View attachment 43962
Ss, the two red wires that are in the L1 terminals on the dimmer, those are the switched lives out to the lights. So, one in L1 and one in L2 on the smartswitch.
That leaves you with the reds in the C terminals. Put the two reds into the L in terminal on the smartswitch. Thats your live in. throw away the red link wire.

Then you need to connect up the neutral to the smartswitch. Thats the blacks on the terminal block in the back box. Better to run a new single bit of black or blue wire for this, you'll not cram all three into the smart switch N terminal.

Do tell us if it works.

EDIT: you'll probably need a deeper box.

Thanks - will try this evening and report back :thumbsup:

If you leave that loop out then you will probably find that one of the switches and one or more lights are not working.
In those switches there is only one live in terminal. There is no need for the loop conductor and nowhere for it to go!
All he does is to put the two reds that go to the two C terminals into the one Lin terminal on the new switch.

Reply to Replacing two gang switch with Sonoff Smart Switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock