Discuss Replacing two-way switch with dimmer. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I didn't realise there was a third terminal behind the sticker.
Is it exactly the same as the switch you are replacing?
The new switch has an earth terminal on it. Use it for the earth conductors.
Connect the red and black of the twin cable to the 2 terminals on show. That will give you light over the weekend, but not 2 way operation.
Terminate the 3 core cables safely into separate connectors and leave in the box behind the switch.

Monday morning, call a pro. Is there no forum members could help out with a home visit?

Well, it said on the website it was a two-way switch? But now I have it in person it says multi? There is a third terminal, however there doesn’t seem to be a screw behind the sticker to tighten...
Crikey, that firest pic is it the finished connection, cus if it is you need to get an Electrician in to do the job prperly, come to that you need an Electrician any way.
Think I said it wasn’t the finished product... I apologise if not!

with switches, the same moulding is used for 1 way and 2 way., so a 1 way will have a 3rd hole but no terminal.

You need to replace the other switch with a retractive switch and connect the switched live from that switch to the RS (retractive switch) terminal.
Momentary ceiling pull cord switches are generally used for emergency call systems and have a red pull cord.

Attachments

• Ultimate flat plate 2 way touch dimmer.pdf
    62.7 KB · Views: 4
You need to replace the other switch with a retractive switch and connect the switched live from that switch to the RS (retractive switch) terminal.
Momentary ceiling pull cord switches are generally used for emergency call systems and have a red pull cord.

Right, ok. Thank you. I did ask in Homebase, but like me they said to ask on a forum such as this. The ceiling pull cord is definitely just a light.

It's just irritating more than anything. It's supposed to be a pretty simple job, that for some reason is just proving to be a nightmare! I need to try and get the new switch in at some point very soon - I have no lights otherwise!
Well, put the old switch back on for now.What was the old retractive switch for?

Thanks, Richard I can see what the OP is trying to do now.He will have to make safe one of the cores and is the pull cord retractive (mains rated)?

change the switch for one with a remote control and ditch the pull cord over the bed. take the fob to bed.

So, my set up is a little different to most people's.
There's your problem. Your 'setup' has been needlessly complicated with pull switches in the bedroom, retractive switches and thick grey cables with red stripes down them.
I'm guessing you're not replacing this dimmer like for like but compounding the problem by trying to get a fancier one in there.

At some point you're going to have to make a compromise, like getting the wiring altered or sacrificing the ability to dim the lights from the pull switch.

There's your problem. Your 'setup' has been needlessly complicated with pull switches in the bedroom, retractive switches and thick grey cables with red stripes down them.
I'm guessing you're not replacing this dimmer like for like but compounding the problem by trying to get a fancier one in there.

At some point you're going to have to make a compromise, like getting the wiring altered or sacrificing the ability to dim the lights from the pull switch.

Well, it hasn't been needlessly complicated. If I am having a bad morning and I'm unable to get out of bed and to the door to turn the light on, I need something with me on the other side of the room. I also never said I wanted to be able to dim the lights from the pull switch - just to maintain the ability to turn the light on and off from either side of the bedroom.

take it back, get a normal 1 gang 2 way dimmer.

wire like this
red from twin cable into L1
black from twin cable into L2

red from 3core cable into common (C)
yellow from 3 core cable into L1
blue from 3 core cable into L2

and bring the cpc (earth) cables that are currently tucked in the back of the box and terminate them on the front plate where it shows

(ensure the pull cord is also wired red - c, yel - l1 blue - l2

Well, it hasn't been needlessly complicated..
Well it has, otherwise you wouldn't have had to come on an electrical forum to ask how to wire this up. Ordinarily you wouldn't have this "thick grey cable with a red stripe" either.
The dimmer you've bought is wired differently to the switch you've taken out, and as mentioned you'd need a momentary switch on the other end. A 'standard' rotary dimmer would be wired in much the same way as the old switch, ie less complicated.

Well, it hasn't been needlessly complicated. If I am having a bad morning and I'm unable to get out of bed and to the door to turn the light on, I need something with me on the other side of the room. I also never said I wanted to be able to dim the lights from the pull switch - just to maintain the ability to turn the light on and off from either side of the bedroom.
In that case, just forget this retractive switching and get a 1
gang 2way dimmer suitable for the lamp(s)in the room.

Success!!

I’ve changed a plug socket tonight, which was an absolute nightmare. How do you all line up the screws well enough?

My lighting has had some success too. I managed to install the dimmer, it now works. I am able to turn the light off from my bed! The two-way switch is working! There is, however, something strange going on. Whilst the pull-cord at the bed does work with the dimmer switch, it depends on what’s happened as to whether the switches are going to work or not. Example - I tested to make sure the dimmer worked, it does. I then checked my pull-cord to see if that also works. It does. They don’t sync with each other though. Sometimes I can switch on at the dimmer, but not off at the pull cord. Similarly, I can sometimes seitch the light on at my bed, but not off at the dimmer... Any ideas/solutions?

Tel actually had a good idea earlier in the thread that I missed.
Fit a remote controlled switch. Something cheap like lightwaverf.
Normal room switch works as a dimmer, and you can get a battery powered remote that looks like a switch, screw that to the wall next to the bed.

Success!!

I’ve changed a plug socket tonight, which was an absolute nightmare. How do you all line up the screws well enough?

My lighting has had some success too. I managed to install the dimmer, it now works. I am able to turn the light off from my bed! The two-way switch is working! There is, however, something strange going on. Whilst the pull-cord at the bed does work with the dimmer switch, it depends on what’s happened as to whether the switches are going to work or not. Example - I tested to make sure the dimmer worked, it does. I then checked my pull-cord to see if that also works. It does. They don’t sync with each other though. Sometimes I can switch on at the dimmer, but not off at the pull cord. Similarly, I can sometimes seitch the light on at my bed, but not off at the dimmer... Any ideas/solutions?
The blindingly obvious solution is the information you have previously been given and ignored, that the pull cord is the wrong type for that dimmer switch. If you operate the switch with the existing pull cord then you should operate the switch twice, because the switch is only meant to be momentary so you should switch the pull cord on then off. for each operation you want. IfF you leave it in the wrong position you will probably burn out the dimmer over time as it is not designed for that use.

Or firstly cut the wires near the switch terminals and Leave the bits in the old switch still having a bit of insulation left.. this last bit most important!

Ideas - yes , its not installed correctly.

Solutions - more fiddling is required.

or call somebody who knows what they are doing?:)

I suppose this is the difference between a DIYer and a professional electrician - whereas the OP seems happy to congratulate himself on a 'partial success' there are others here who would argue that it doesn't work properly.

Reply to Replacing two-way switch with dimmer. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock