Discuss Replacing UPS batteries produce a spark in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Rom

-
Reaction score
I'm having some problems with my PC's uninterpretable power supply. It came with two 12v 9Ah batteries that aren't charging anymore so I've decided to replace them with higher capacity batteries that are 12v 12Ah. The old batteries were connected in serial (plus to minus) but if I try to connect the new ones the same way it produces a sparks when connecting the last UPS wire to one of the batteries. The spark is about as big as the one that ignites kitchen gas burners, not too big but enough to startle me like a movie jumpscare. I thought the capacity doesn't matter as long as both batteries are 12v. Also they are bigger in size and don't fit the UPS case so I have to use them externally. I know nothing about electricity and, to be honest, it scares me. Any help will be appreciated.

Hi - perhaps double double check the batteries are the same voltage as the originals and they are wired in exactly the same way as them. Given you now have batteries outside the case, how have you extended the leads? (i.e. any chance of short circuits? ) Are the batteries charged and the PC off? Perhaps post a few pics and it may assist understanding :) .

Last edited:
is there any load on the batteries when you connect them?

The leads are long enough, so there was no need to extend them (just had to rout them from the back, through a vent hole).

Replacing UPS batteries produce a spark {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Replacing UPS batteries produce a spark {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

The UPS is not plugged to an outlet and there's no PC connected to it. When I reconnect the old batteries (those that don't charge anymore) there's no spark.
I did some googling and on one of the forums they say that inverter's discharged capacitors may cause a load which produces a spark. Could it be the cause in my case? How do I safely connect these batteries?

You need to check that the UPS is capable of maintaining higher capacity batteries as you may damage it.

The UPS instructions sheet says that the stock batteries should be replaced with the exact same ones. Guess now I can either buy two more 12v 9Ah batteries or a different UPS to use the 12v 12Ah batteries that I already have.

A small spark is probably nothing to worry about. Although the UPS is not powering a load, it will have electronic control circuitry trying to start up. Once connected, does the UPS start up OK? (ie. LEDs, LCD display etc.). If it does then I would try a small load on it and see if it functions correctly.

The above is assuming you are CERTAIN that your extended battery cables cannot touch either each other, or any metal work. Is the case plastic or metal where the wires come out to your batteries?

Once connected, does the UPS start up OK?
The UPS wasn't connected yet. Those sparks made me think I was doing something wrong so I didn't connect the batteries. Could this UPS be designed to only work with 9Ah batteries?

Is the case plastic or metal where the wires come out to your batteries?
The case is entirely made of plastic.

I've just noticed that the power switch was in ON position all this time. I'll gather some courage and try to connect the batteries when UPS is OFF.

Thanks a lot for the feedback so far!

Connect it up with switch off. Then power it up and see what happens. If all is OK then try it with a load.
The capacity of your batteries is not causing this issue.

Also, connect the positive side first.
Unless it's a Triumph with a positive earth... I wondered why my new LED lamp would work... :(:D

Reply to Replacing UPS batteries produce a spark in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock