Discuss Replacing Wall Lights Wiring. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi I'm replacing a pair of wall lights, which currently have two lights per wall light for two single ones. Currently there are two live, two neutral and an earth going into each light.
New LED light just has one live one neutral and a sleeved entry cable to for the house wires. States specifically do not earth. There is one plastic connector inside a plastic box on the light, with three connections, only the outer two being used. Do I just combine the current two live and two neutral connecting them both to their respective connections and what do I do with the existing earth wire. Any help appreciated, not an electrician, but it seems silly to get one out if it turns out to be very simple.
Wife will also be changing ceiling light, thankfully not bought anything yet as that has six bulbs. I may need to surrender at that stage.

Hi mate. Welcome to the forum.
Just so I'm clear on what you are doing....
Each current wall light fittings have 2 lights. You are replacing the fitting with one that has only 1 light.
Each current wall light fitting has 2 live wires, 2 neutral wires & 2 earth wires going to them.
Do you have pics of the current wiring, current light fittings and new fittings.. It's a Monday and my brain hasn't switched on properly yet..

Hi I'm replacing a pair of wall lights, which currently have two lights per wall light for two single ones. Currently there are two live, two neutral and an earth going into each light.
New LED light just has one live one neutral and a sleeved entry cable to for the house wires. States specifically do not earth. There is one plastic connector inside a plastic box on the light, with three connections, only the outer two being used. Do I just combine the current two live and two neutral connecting them both to their respective connections and what do I do with the existing earth wire. Any help appreciated, not an electrician, but it seems silly to get one out if it turns out to be very simple.
Wife will also be changing ceiling light, thankfully not bought anything yet as that has six bulbs. I may need to surrender at that stage.
The connector in the middle that you say has nothing connected to it, may be and this only a guess could be used as a place to terminate the earth wires, could be wrong but without looking at the fittings it's difficult to tell.

If it was me I would park the earth wires in that spare connector.
If it was me I would park the earth wires in that spare connector.
Im assuming then that would just terminate it, not earth the light? Also do I put both existing neutral and live wires, that is two wires for each into the correct connection in the choc box. Two in one out so to speak. Thanks for all the help so far everybody.

Yes one pair will come in and the other out to the next light so put both lives into the single live of the new fitting, both neutrals into the single neutral and the earth into the spare connector, as long as it is spare and not connected to anything.

Thanks Helmont. It’s the middle one in second picture. The live and neutral you can see, are the light live and neutral, so surely if I connect the wall earth there, it will end there? It’s just a three terminal connection inside a plastic box, with the live and neutral light wires already connected. No idea what all the other gubbins, red wires etc, inside the light do!! Presume the other box inside light transforms the power down for LED light? Thanks. Please confirm if you think I’m right.

Reply to Replacing Wall Lights Wiring. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock