Discuss Require help with testing figures in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I'm new to this forum and require some help.
I'm an apprentice electrician studying in my 3rd year of college and have currently just passed my test and inspection exams. However I am struggling on 1 thingo_O. Don't get me wrong, I know how to test and carry out all procedures correctly, but need help knowing where to look to verify my readings. I have the BS7671 17th Amendment book and the OSG, but where exactly am I looking to verify;
r1
r2
rn
(R1+R2) / R2

I know where to find Max Zs & RCD Trip times, and insulation resistance is simple enough. But I'm just a little rocky on finding the above max readings.

Any help would be appreciated.

there is no values given for max. resistances in bs7671 like there is for max. ZS's. if the Zs readings are within limits, then you know that the resistance values are OK. if you look at tables for 0hms/m for different cable sizes, multiply by ther estimated length of a cable, then you will have an idea of what the resistance should be.

there is no values given for max. resistances in bs7671 like there is for max. ZS's. if the Zs readings are within limits, then you know that the resistance values are OK. if you look at tables for 0hms/m for different cable sizes, multiply by ther estimated length of a cable, then you will have an idea of what the resistance should be.
Do you mean this table?
(Sorry for crappy quality, I'm using my cheap tablet :tearsofjoy:)

View attachment 35589

Hi,do not forget that these figures are theoretical,and will not take in to account,anomalies in conductor size or possible additional resistance,at every connection point,say at socket outlets.

This is where doing as much testing as possible,even when not required,will build up a mental picture of what's going on,and allow effective fault finding. For instance,two legs of a RFC,may both give a slightly different figure than what you estimate the circuits length to show,but,are equal.
If the two legs gave a reading closer to the expected length,but were somewhat uneven,this may point to increased resistance,at connections.

The figures in your books,are guides for expected values,but are certainly no substitute,for real-time assessment.

There are situations,IR testing springs to mind, where your testing will reveal a certain "fail",according to the guides,but you would NOT be replacing the item tested :) Wax on,Wax off...

Reply to Require help with testing figures in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock