Discuss Requirement of local isolators for 3 phase motors on plant in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Normally I fit local isolators adjacent to 3 phase motors to allow for maintenance. I have been informed that as my main control panel is within 8 meters at most from any one motor on the plant I can install a lockable emergency stop push button to kill the control circuit and use this as a suitable replacement. What are your thoughts? Is there a regulation for a requirement of local isolators as I cannot find one specifically stating that it's required.

Locking the control does not under any circumstances equate to isolation. Locking the panel isolator does.

Something I did on a panel feeding over 100 drives. I took the outgoing from the panel isolator through various isolators dotted around the plant then back to the panel.

No where in the regs does it say that motors should have LOCAL isolation. I used to think it did....

Section 132.15.2 Every fixed electrical motor shall be provided with an efficient means of switching off, readily accessible, easily operated and so placed as to prevent danger.

Personally, i don't give a damn what it say's in BS7671, or any other standard, ...local isolation is always provided to any motor driven machinery/equipment!! And local will mean local too, not several metres away or round a corner out of sight!!

I agree with Tony too, in that locking a control circuit, does not equate to the safe isolation of power...

If there is a motor drive, then it will need to be worked on at one time or another. Therefore local isolation (preferably locking) be it for maintenance purposes, emg isolation etc,etc, should always be required...

As you have mentioned on post 7, you don't give a bamn what the regs say about this, but I have to say again that no 'local' isolation is required. It is nice but not compulsory.

As you have mentioned on post 7, you don't give a bamn what the regs say about this, but I have to say again that no 'local' isolation is required. It is nice but not compulsory.

Yep and another reason why i take little notice of BS 7671 when it comes to full on commercial/industrial installations. ...And it's nothing to do with it being nice to have!! lol!!

please be aware that this thread is concerning regulations on local isolation, and as such ur not in a position to advise.

Anyone can read a book and interpret what is said in it if they have knowledge of the subject.

If it was that hard to understand there'd be no such thing as a wonder.

Re O.P

There's Regs
There'd client spec
There's good working practice
And there's budget critical jobs.

All have to be considered

Reply to Requirement of local isolators for 3 phase motors on plant in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net