Discuss Resistivity maths problem in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey all im just a bit confused with the formula for resistivity, i understand it until the text book gives an example whereupon the csa of cable goes from being 1.5mmsq (which i take to be 1.5 x 10 to -3M sq) to 1.5 x 10 to -6M sq which would make a csa of 1.5micrometeres would it not?
Ive attached a pic so you can see what i mean

Thanks

D

Hi Daniel and Welcome to the Forum :)
No pic yet - if there's trouble uploading it could be from the Forum anti spam software, try refreshing the page and then immediately uploading.
Well 1mm is 1 x 10^-3m.
So 1mm2 is 1 x 10^-3 times 1 x 10^-3 which is 1 x 10^-6m2. Hopefully I haven't made a slip :)

Deleted as I can not upload a picture. At least the chinese input has done something...screwed up my interaction with the forum. Oh well better just keep quiet and let the spammers have their way.

IMG_3083.JPG

Actually sorry to be a pain but ive put that in my calculator and squaring 1x10 to -3 still yields 1 x10 to -9
Am i misunderstanding something?
When you square numbers youre multiplying them by themselves yes?

It sounds like you are squaring the power value as a number on its own, the calculator has not finished creating the 1 x 10^-3. You need to complete the 1 x 10^-3 calculation or put it in brackets to get your 0.001 and then square that to get 0.000001 or 1 x 10^-6.
When multiplying numbers with the same base you can add the powers. i.e. in this case -3 + -3 = -6.

It sounds like you are squaring the power value as a number on its own, the calculator has not finished creating the 1 x 10^-3. You need to complete the 1 x 10^-3 calculation or put it in brackets to get your 0.001 and then square that to get 0.000001 or 1 x 10^-6.
When multiplying numbers with the same base you can add the powers. i.e. in this case -3 + -3 = -6.
need to re-read when sober. ..... just did.... still too many 000000,a and -----'s to connect with senile brain.

Ok thats working now, thanks for your help

D

Reply to Resistivity maths problem in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net