Discuss Retired pressure jet oil & gas engineer in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Still learning after 64 years on the tools....... Self employed
47 years. Used to have the monopoly for Whitbread Pubs
within 50 mile radius of Nottingham.......

I've always said the more electrical complexity there is built into the modern boilers the more they will go wrong but it
does not require much inteligence to realize that.
Mind you this fact can earn a savy engineer quite a bit of money who is good at fault finding.......but the knowledgeable engineer can also save the customer a lot of money and also hardship.

Quite true but I did get the odd round of applause when I got the heating going when I emerged from the cellar...... never had a sip of beer in any pub whatsoever but I did get an awful lot of diesel they did not want when they went over to gas! Those were the days - my heating was never off!

Welcome to the forum.
Some useful experience there.
Different from the usual domestic installation.
Fault finding can be a major headache or a real sense of accomplishment, the problem is ensuing the latter!

Hi
I used to work for a company that fitted loads of oil burners in the 60s. Potterton mostly. Usually conversion from coal. Used to have a hole cut in boiler door with oxy torch, stick burner through hole and away you go. It was the fuel of the future?

Welcome Micklemus .
(Still learning ,there's hope for me yet !)
Make things too niggly, and I would imagine a form of
natural selection happens across the brands? (Boiler wise)

I was asked now and a gain = what are these new fangled combis like which I took to mean are they reliable....... I replied they are OK while they are working but they WILL GO WRONG..... The chaps who work with them must know which ones are the most reliable but my lad who is a sub station fitter has a Ferroli which is 16 years old. It's a none condensing of course & that is one of the major reasons it's run virtually trouble free all those years.
The last time I rang Ferroli I complained about three of their Combis that had faulty circuit boards on all three within the two year guarantee. The tech said =blame it on the government trying to squeeze every bit of gas out of all boilers lately..... They are too complex for reliability. Quite true I said -look at my lad's 13 year (then) Ferroli combi which went wrong once re the PCB when a relay went faulty..... A ÂŁ40 used one sorted it out & no problem since apart from me having to re-pressurize the expansion vestle & replace the safety valve & auto air cock. As new now & quiet as well. That Gloworm HXi Ultracom in my caravan has a PCB which
has a mind of it's own re temperature accuracy but I'm determined to find out what it is & cure it if at all possible..... Mind you it will use more propane when it's cured of it's shutting down to low flame too soon to the tune of 10 C..... Then again I can reduce the temp by a bit of 'button pushing'............

Worrying about carbon foot print , means making things , thin light and flimsy . (and if it's condensing mild nitric acid .... )Still expensive.
( My gas bill is nagging me for an upgrade - but must become tidier 1st )

Reply to Retired pressure jet oil & gas engineer in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock