Discuss retrofit fire alarm to wired smoke detectors in home in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

higgs

-
Reaction score
Hi
Is this possible. I have wired in smoke detectors in each room in a 4 bed semi. However they are not loud enough and I worry in the event of a fire they will not wake anyone if they sound during the night. I'd like to retrofit a fire alarm to the system which sounds if any smoke detector goes off in the home. Please advise if this is possible. I can provide the makes of the smoke detectors if required.
What would be the cheapest and most elegant solution.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
regards
Higgs

As long as they are linked using 3 core & earth cable, they should be able to be replaced with other mains powered smokes. I would suggest Aico, meaning no disrespect but if you can sleep through those going off your deaf.
You would be best off getting advice from a good local electrician who can see what's installed and give you better advice.

Think the OP has provided live feed to each new detector and not linked them?

OP you could install 'radio linked' detectors, which while not cheap, would negate the need to hard wire between each detector. I would also consider installing a control switch as well.

I would also concur with the advice of employing a competent electrician.

Out of interest why the need to provide smoke detectors in each room? I think an interlinked high quality smoke detection system(aico) should suffice in your situation. Best get an electrician in to offer some advice.

I have 13 linked together ( aico ) when they go off they are soooooo loud it makes the kids cry so how you sleep through it is have no idea. It would be cheaper to get your ears syringed. I had to put one in every room aservice a compromise with building control rather than fire doors after a loft conversion

If they're not linked then it's not much wonder the OP couldn't hear the alarm, ridiculous idea & waste of money to my mind.

I have 13 linked together ( aico ) when they go off they are soooooo loud it makes the kids cry so how you sleep through it is have no idea. It would be cheaper to get your ears syringed. I had to put one in every room aservice a compromise with building control rather than fire doors after a loft conversion

13 smoke alarms, really?

We have 5 and when they go of is enough to wake the dead

Our sense of how loud something is
May as well have put a Part 1 system in.

Reply to retrofit fire alarm to wired smoke detectors in home in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock