Discuss Retrospective Regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Faced with being failed and a revisit I decided it was not in my own interests to do so today but was looking for some king of backup from the regs to argue the case in the future.

Email the NICEIC directly and ask them to confirm that if any circuit in an installation is altered then all other circuits that don't comply with the 18th must be updated so that they do.

I'm no 18th regs expert but I'm absolutely certain that they will not agree with the above.

There has been two or three threads over the last few months with inspectors quoting so called facts which have little or no substance to them.

Faced with being failed and a revisit I decided it was not in my own interests to do so today but was looking for some king of backup from the regs to argue the case in the future.

Get in touch stating exactly what you were told and ask for clarification that was not given to you at the time as to which regulations were not being complied with. Ask for this in writing.

We had our assessment a few weeks ago and the inspector who seemed a decent fella just seemed to want to push their wares on us, he only looked about 20 yrs old.

I totally agree with both of the above points.

Some of the sparks i know would happily spur a new socket off a ring main which has rewireable fuses with no rcd protection and say the circuit complied with a previous edition wtf?

I think the new lighting reg is daft too but it is there regardless so am i right in saying that in future if changing a light the circuit has no rcd you should be installing one to additionally protect the circuit? Some of my guys are saying clients wont agree to that! A cheap job has just become an expensive job. I dont buy that answer at all the regs are there to be followed of not then what is the point?

I think it is lighting circuit that needs RCD protection, not the light fittings themselves. So changing a light fitting or switch would be fine, but if you added new lights then you would need to install an RCD

One thing that stums me is when, like today, I do an EICR on a house that has a 50+ old installation and I'm meant to judge it on the regs of the time it was done - How am I meant to know the regs at the time it was done? It's older than me lol!

One thing that stums me is when, like today, I do an EICR on a house that has a 50+ old installation and I'm meant to judge it on the regs of the time it was done - How am I meant to know the regs at the time it was done? It's older than me lol!

You're not meant to judge it like that, you use the current version of BS7671 for an inspection on any installation.

Reply to Retrospective Regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock