Discuss Returning Electrician with Little on-site experience. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Ash_C

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am after some advice, I qualified back in 2011 (NVQ Level 3 Electro technical Studies) and since then have not been 'an electrician' but a medical equipment engineer based on my apprenticeship being a shambles (I was a white goods installer for the majority of my 4 year term as an apprentice). Unfortunately government funded organisations do not shower their employees with money so I am exploring my options and returning back to being an electrician is the stand-out contender.

If I wanted to venture back to being a sparky; what do I need to do? I thought I was in tune with the internet but I cannot seem to find any stand-out advice.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Anyone on here that knows of any local businesses or stand-alone electricians willing to assist with bringing me up to speed and if not pushing me onto furthering my career it is much appreciated.

Thank-you in advance.

First i would get yourself the 18th edition and do a testing qualification such as the 2391-52 that covers initial and periodic testing and inspection.
With the NVQ and these you would be in a good place to look for work, in mean time look for some electricians mates roles to get back upto speed.
Given your current role, if you approached hospitals for experience working with the in house sparks you would likely fine them open to it.

First i would get yourself the 18th edition and do a testing qualification such as the 2391-52 that covers initial and periodic testing and inspection.
With the NVQ and these you would be in a good place to look for work, in mean time look for some electricians mates roles to get back upto speed.
Given your current role, if you approached hospitals for experience working with the in house sparks you would likely fine them open to it.

18th edition, is that an exam or just the book?
I've identified the 2391 as an exam I need to book myself for, thankyou nice that is confirmed.

Yeah I'm currently in contact with the sparkiesat the hospital, and I can't find any 'mate vacancies that don't require a special license.. I will continue searching.

Thankyou for responding it's much appreciated.

I wouldn't bother with 2391 until you've nailed installation for a few years. How can you test something without understanding the processes involved during installation and taken part in an installation.....?

Good luck

Ps: what the post above said bite his hand off

18th edition, is that an exam or just the book?
The exam is 2382-18, which replaces 2382-15 (17th edition Amendment 3)
The 18th edition of BS7671 supercedes the 17th edition in January 2019, and the 18th exam has been available for a few months now. You'll need to buy and familiarise yourself with the "big blue book".

The exam is 2382-18, which replaces 2382-15 (17th edition Amendment 3)
The 18th edition of BS7671 supercedes the 17th edition in January 2019, and the 18th exam has been available for a few months now. You'll need to buy and familiarise yourself with the "big blue book".

Excellent, I'll buy the book and shop around to do the 2382-18 Thankyou.

Reply to Returning Electrician with Little on-site experience. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock