Discuss Reverting from LED lighting to Halogen in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

JD

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I am not an electrician but I wondered if I might ask for a little bit of advice?

My parents have just bought a house and all of the rooms are lit with LED light bulbs, which give me a bad headache after half an hour.

I would like to switch to halogen light bulbs, but I've never really worked with LED spotlights before and I wondered if you could tell me what I need to do to get the spotlights out of the ceiling and figure out which halogen bulb I need to buy to replace them?

Some of the rooms have 8 spotlights embedded in the ceiling, and some rooms have three bulbs sticking out of the ceiling in the mounts of some kind.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jen

Hi,

Thanks, that's okay. Tbh if that's what needs to happen, it's easier to know that before I spend two weeks slogging through websites.

Ta!

Jen

I also get on with fluorescent energy saving bulbs and incandescent bulbs if they would be any good.

I am going back to visit, and I will take out the bulbs and look at them. If you could even give me a list of information to find out that would be extremely helpful.

I think it may be the flickering that is the problem though. I gather that is the main issue with LED, is it not? I've spent such a long time experimenting with LED-everything and it does such epically bad things to me each time. Tbh I'd rather just get rid of them.

I also have an old phone, and old computer and so on.

LOL! I have a Samsung GT-E1080, which is very easy on the eyes and also can make and receive telephone calls, which is what I need it for.
http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/GT-E1080ZKIXEU

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite pro U400, which is also splendid.
Satellite Pro U400-18S - Toshiba - http://www.toshiba.co.uk/discontinued-products/satellite-pro-u400-18s/

By training I'm a research scientist, and I'm currently making videos on how to build automated microscopes from scratch using arduinos and bits and bobs and very expensive lenses, so I'm okay for a bit of mickey taking. :)

My next project is to convert a ccfl laptop screen into a desktop screen using a special gizmo that's coming in the post from China and a few instructables webpages. I'm hoping that will tide me over after this laptop keels over. It turns out necessity really is the mother of invention. :)

Thanks for the tips on LED bulbs. It really is very helpful. I'm kicking myself for not photographing the dimmer switches now.

I don't think that getting rid of the dimmer switches so that the leds are always on maximum brightness would solve the problem, because then firstly they would be super bright, but then also I think they still flicker even on maximum brightness. Is that not right?

Reply to Reverting from LED lighting to Halogen in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock