Discuss Reverting from LED lighting to Halogen in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If it's of any interest, following replacing all of my GU10 halogens with LED I have about 50 halogen ones in my cupboard...you can have them for nothing, or the postage...

Pirate, that would be fantastic if you didn't mind. To be honest I did wonder if there were stacks of halogens heading for the bin as people switched to LEDs. I'd be really glad to give some a new home.

If I go and have a look on Saturday could I get back to you? I'm not sure if they are GU10s until I take a look.

Thanks!

I don't think that getting rid of the dimmer switches so that the leds are always on maximum brightness would solve the problem, because then firstly they would be super bright, but then also I think they still flicker even on maximum brightness. Is that not right?

They shouldn't flicker on full brightness. This needs sorting out first.

That article says that they still flicker on full brightness as long as they are driven on AC current. It says only if they are driven on DC do they stop flickering. Do you not agree?

Caveat is that I'm not totally sure that it is the flicker. I also have trouble with very bright screens with CCLF backlight so full brightness on non-flickering LED bulbs may be tricky too. I get on fine in daylight and with Halogen bulbs, 300W turned up to max.

It would be handy if I at least had a fairly immediate reaction so I could do several tests, but it takes an hour to kick in and then I feel rubbish for ages, so doing lots of tests if a bit tricky.

I think that the LED lights or whatever replaces them will be fixed so that it doesn't cause problems any more. There are huge numbers of people having problems with LEDs and the designers are working on it. It was the same when CRT screens first came out, until the fixed the refresh rate, and again the same when fluorescent strip lights came out. I reckon I just need to hang on to the old technology until the new technology gets fixed.

There are some people who still struggle after the technology is considered to be fixed though. Those would be people who struggle with migraines all the time for example. Some of them are just having to live in a world that is lit by types of light that their eyes can't cope with.

Those would be people who struggle with migraines all the time for example. Some of them are just having to live in a world that is lit by types of light that their eyes can't cope with.
I go to many customers property's most have the old energy saving lights .they may has well get a Davie lamp . upload_2018-1-4_23-19-33.png they are now mass producing candles again when their in no light .

We still have bayonet fit energy saving lights. I like them, though I have recently added a couple of 300W halogen uplighters as I realised we were basically sitting in darkness. My corner shop still sells incandescent light bulbs.

As a matter of fact, a halogen uplighter is probably the obvious solution for my current problem. I could just put one in each room and turn off the other lights.

I just had a look at some of the evidence about these effects

What I can gather from reading the info is the headaches are a consequence of on/off moments hundreds of times per second by the led
The dimming of the led is 100%, compared to that of 35% for a fluorescent tube
These off moments if too slow are seen unconsciously by the eyes, the more this cycling is increased the less its perceived

It suggests the better quality Led will cycle quicker than the cheap and nasties out there
Perhaps there may then be less chance of the human eye detecting these off periods

Seems to be a problem that has not been catered for when too readily ditching older technology prematurely

The only problem with halogen GU10s is that they are a little prone to blowing more regularly. And obviously they cost a bit to run.
Is it that the lights flicker Jennifer or is it the stroboscopic effect you are getting? Some people are more prone than others to this phenomenon. If they are flickering they shouldn't be and something is wrong. If it's the strobing then more expensive LED lamps will likely be designed better to counter the AC waveform issue Des mentions above. You could try a couple of the more expensive lamps in a bathroom perhaps where you wouldn't need to replace 8 of them.... And see if that helps.

I do feel quite strongly in favour of LED technology, so would encourage you to try out a couple of decent ones before you give up on them..

If the downlights are dedicated LED Units, replacing the bulb (or lamp if you prefer) won't be an option. I agree with @Murdoch in post #2. Get a spark round to take a look.

Last edited:
Thanks, I've written to an electrician. I do see that testing some others is a good idea, but it takes me a long time to recover after exposure to LEDs. I still have a headache and other trouble since exposure yesterday and don't feel at all enthusiastic about testing more. Yuk.

think i'm going to need to contact Jack Daniels in Tennessee. his whiskey must be LED as it gives me a headache after every bottle.:D

Jen,
Personally I wouldn't just dismiss the idea of LED lights. There are (as mentioned) some variables to consider first before you swap back to the halogen lamps.
1. Make sure the dimmer switch is functioning as it should
2. Swap out the dimmer for a better quality or a normal switch
3. Change the lamp colour from cool to warm or day light.
4. Change the lamps for better quality ones (there are many different makes and qualities out there and to be frank some are sh**.

The down side of using halogen lamps is that they are more costly to run, get hot and need replacing more often.

Reply to Reverting from LED lighting to Halogen in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net