Discuss Reverting from LED lighting to Halogen in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi David,

Thanks for your thoughts on this. The only problem is that LED lights mess me up for days after only an hour's exposure. Doing tests is really very hard for me. I don't really know a way round that.

If anybody could recommend the best bulb and the perfect setup or something like that, then I could probably do one more test, but knocking myself over repeatedly in a trial and error system is not really an option.

American baseball cap (peak right-way round) works wonders , when LEDs are low and hard to avoid having in eyeline.
-- Never staring at them seems to improve things --
....Have heard something about ones with a yellow dot ,not flickering as badly ....
(Cap-Something I discovered when I no longer had a fringe to hide behind)
Also check out Wattages as others have mentioned,too much light will cause that " Maplin Moment "

Last edited:
Oooo! That's great advice. Thanks. I was in a shop today lit by LEDs and I kept looking at lights to see if they were LEDs and regretting it as the headache dug deeper. The hat sounds an excellent plan.

Thanks for the word about wattages. I feel a DK book on home lighting coming on...

I still have a headache, a stomachache and no appetite, after three days recovery from 1 hour of LED light. I'm afraid that these bulbs are definitely for the chop, just as soon as I can recover enough to get hold of the little blighters.

This article is good:

http://www.ledsmagazine.com/articles/2010/11/light-and-human-health-led-risks-highlighted.html

It says that because LED are very concentrated point-sources of light, they are extremely bright and we should not look directly at them. That fits very well with my experience, especially in shops.

I'm very glad we have online shopping though. A lot of shops seem to have gone all-LED now and it's blessed relief getting back out of them into the sunshine.

LEDs are hear to stay ,and I'm glad ,the reason is a they don't burn a lot of electricity like the halogens do (heat)and will save jo public a lot of cash and in general.
so in a few years time their will be no halogens, only LEDs
if I can reduce my electricity bills in half or a customers they will be glad and thank full.

I looked into the sunglasses and tinted lenses options and apparently sunglasses would make things worse for me, and I have never found a tint that worked.

btw, I understand that there are reasons why LEDs are good, but before they are rolled out as standard they need to have these problems fixed. It's totally not okay to just incapacitate certain members of the population without giving any thought to the matter.

I know it's okay to think "this is fine as long as it happens to someone else" but it's really not funny to be the person on the sharp end of it.

Some dimmer switches may be causing the LED lights to flicker more.
Could you not replace them with normal switches and take out some LED light until the level of light is not too bright?

Hi,

We looked in detail today and it's only a few that are LED so we're just going to switch them out. Problem solved. Phew!

One of the guys at work has just replaced some LEDs with "No Flicker, No Strobe" LEDs.
What he did to show me the difference was to replace 3 of the 6 LEDs with the new ones and then video the light, using his mobile phone while it's on 'slow-mo' mode. What you was 3 light flickering and the new ones not.
These LEDs were G9, but he did say that he replaced some GU10's in the past that didn't flicker. The GU10's he bought are now replaced with this one.
http://cpc.farnell.com/philips-lighting/twin-led-gu10/lamp-led-gu10-3-5w-240lm-ww-2/dp/LP08678

You could buy one and get it replaced at your parents house, next to some of the old ones. Get your parents to video it in 'slow-mo' and see if it works, before you replace them all.

That's great that those exist at least. It's good to know people are working on it. We're going back to halogens and compact fluorescents until this is a definitely solved problem. My reactions to LED lights are too severe to have me volunteer as a guinea pig.

That's great that those exist at least. It's good to know people are working on it. We're going back to halogens and compact fluorescents until this is a definitely solved problem. My reactions to LED lights are too severe to have me volunteer as a guinea pig.

But the way I suggest is that your parents will video the new LED light in 'slow-mo' mode on their mobile phone and then show you the video. You don't see the LEDs directly.

Please note that the LEDs I linked above are 'Not Dimmable'

Hi,

Yes but seeing the LEDs on video doesn't help me to assess whether I could live with them or not. It's not clear whether it's the flashing or the blue light that is the problem, so they only way I can test whether I can live with them it be in the room with one for an hour. I'm still recovering from the last time I tried that 4 days ago. I think it would be better if this technology was tested on other people before I try every new fix that's going.

Reply to Reverting from LED lighting to Halogen in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net