Discuss Review your van! (and help me choose!) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

DNS1

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
As above really! I'm in the market for my own van and need help deciding what to go with.

I currently drive Transits and Sprinters quite often for another job, but I think the fuel burn would be unreasonably high for me to have something that large myself.

Bit of a ---- up between the smaller ones, either something purpose deigned as a van like the Transit Connect of Vauxhall Combo, or a car derived model like an Astravan...

What does everyone on here drive? Can anyone give me an indication of the sort of fuel consumption I'm likely to get from common models, can't seem to find many places online with reliable statistics for economy.

ive had a connect for about 4 years and its been great but not big enough! im looking for a vauxhall vivaro my mate swears by them as he's a courier and racks up large miles.
was thinking of leasing ,, cost about £200 pcm sport model but can get pre reg ones new at big savings.

most of the smaller vans will give you 40+ mpg. have a look at the new nissan NV200. from what i've heard, it's great, but a bit slow.

I have an 03 movano hightop long wheel base. Its pretty juicy and the turbo is on its way out. My main gripe is although its high top it has standard doors so still a pain to fit stuff in. I wouldnt reccomend one. The new transit customs look pretty

well I currently drive a Sprinter 309 MWB. had it a couple of years, and I've had to spend quite a lot on it tbh.
I've had to replace prop UJ's twice, both front brake calipers, brakes all round twice a year, several sets of tyres, the throttle body went on it so had to replace that, rusts likes bitch-had it painted several times but gave up in end. other bits n bobs have gone wrong too.

and just last week, it's started to act up when starting. started off that it wouldn't start one morning, like a flat battery.jumped it and away it went.
all good. get to job, switch it off, go to leave, bam.wouldn't start again. it's also now developed an additional fault in that when it does start, the dash doesn't come to life, no electrics work(no speedo, any lights, windows) so now pretty much unusable.
done a diagnosis on it, and it would appear as though the ignition wiring loom is faulty and requires replacing along with needing another key. all in all, over 1,100 quid.
I'm gonna have to do it, as I can't really sell it or use it the way it is, but I've had enough of it tbh.
looking at other vans, and saw a nice 09 transit that I think I'm gonna get.

hope this helps with your choice. basically stay away from mercs!
I was tempted to buy a Transporter, but just like the transits. may still end up with something totally different, but at the mo, the transit is winning.

im looking for a vauxhall vivaro my mate swears by them .

Really?!?

There really poor in my opinion. There just a Renault underneath. It's the slowest thing I have ever driven, the lack of power is unbelievable, there's a slight pull between 2k and 4k then it just dies. It's liking hitting a wall if you've driven one you'll know what I mean. So it's poor on the motorway

The back is small so anything 3m IE conduit, trunking etc etc has to go on top.

The radio is junk, at max volume I could still whisper to the passenger and it only works for 5 mins without ignition.

Can't wait to get back in transit!!...may look at the VW transporters.

Apparently the earlier vivaros are all Vauxhall and meant to be pretty good but then they hooked up with Renault with Renault engine, interior etc etc. Piece of crud.

Everyone else I know with them share this view and got rid which is why I'm surprised with your mate. Unless he's is earlier model?

I'm stuck with it for another 16 month's yet :(

I've had a Combo, Connect, Kangoo and have just bought a Caddy, Caddy wins hands down. Fully racked with tube on top, 40-45mpg, goes well. Would recommend to anyone, unless they need larger of course :)

Im in a connect at the minute, not a bad little motor but too small really. No side door on mine so if you need something that is by the bulkhead then you have to empty a load of other gear out to get to it. Starting to do my head in now. Have been looking at vivaro's. Seem like good van's and not as pricey as the bigger tranny's

Thanks for the help chaps!

I do a lot of work on cars myself, and hoping to do the same with my van. Always owned vauxhalls tempting to get a Combo or Astravan as I'm familiar with the way VX do things, but if the Vivaro is really a Renault underneath I think I'll be steering clear!

I'm not too fussed about acceleration, afterall I have a LOT of points on my licence! Shouldn't be doing too much motorway driving with it, mostly short trips to and from the wholesalers.

If I get something small I'll be looking at a roof mounted option for the lengths of conduit etc. Who uses one of those purpose made "tube carrier" things? Are they worth having? If people find them a hassle I might be more inclined to go for a longer van in the first place...

My vehicle has to double as my van and family car, so had an Audi A4 estate for a few years now. It's fine for keeping all the Call-out stuff in the boot, and the backseat gets used on specific jobs, but overall it's too small. About to swap it for a Ford galaxy, so will remove one of the 7 seats and see how I get on. If need be, will turn it into a 5-seater with loads of room in the boot.
Oh, and as for conduit....3 metres bends nicely into the footwell.

i've got a 2005 caddy, and i rate it very highly. you could look into getting a maxi if the caddy wouldn't be big enough, or if none of them are big enough then go for a transporter!
mine is remapped to 160bhp, it's nice to drive, and it gets 43mpg doing short runs all the time

I have owned probably 12 vans over the last 10 years, probably 5 in the last 6 and the transit IMO although loud is the best IMO, however there are others which were good work horses, I liked my astra van which was a smaller van, although it was not great on fuel like the transit which I get 580 to the tank from.

My vehicle has to double as my van and family car, so had an Audi A4 estate for a few years now

That's the situation I'm currently in mate. Got a Vectra hatchback which I've had for years and try to keep in really nice condition. Getting a bit fed up with it not being big enough and damaging the interior with crates, tool bags and lengths of conduit/timber etc. Besides, being a petrol lump it's not great on fuel...

I use to have a connect, did not find it cheap to run at all. Get the same out of my new transit, i get 41.5mpg out of my transit fully loaded and im not a sunday driver. I went against advice and bought a vivaro once, never again.

Ok, that's a few strikes against the Vivaro... Cheers lads!

If I can get 40+ out of any van then I'll be quids in, my car uses a LOT more fuel than that!

If I could choose a van, and I had a bit of cash to spend, it would be a Transporter Kombi without any hesitation. 6 seats when you need them, great visibilty, all the space you could want, plus VW reliability.

I currently drive a transporter. Nice to drive, crap in general though. 70k miles. 3 alternators, 2 cam belts and a shed load other problems. Fuel wword out about 20p a mile. Can't wait for my vivaro to come in a couple of weeks. We have a couple of Peugeot vans which are ok on maintenance and fuel but won't cope at over 70mph fully loaded.

Reply to Review your van! (and help me choose!) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock