Discuss Revisiting "Borrowed Neutral - or Live" RCD trips in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

nemo

Hi , I'm a new member and resorted to joining this forum in an attempt to get to the bottom of a frustrating problem. I can see many forums where this is discussed but not many give a definite answer , maybe there isn't one. Scenario is upgrading bathroom completely and as part of this new downlighters to be fitted replacing 1 filament bulb. Plumber came to give estimate and checked consumer unit to get shower cable size. This was fine but he noted that currently the upstairs lights which fed the bathroom were not fed from the RCD section of the CU. I said I would ensure that this was corrected before the bathroom work was started. So moved the live and neutral for upstairs lights from non RCD section to RCD section (own mcb).
All well until later that night , switched on landing light from hallway switch and RCD tripped knocking all upstairs lights off. So scratched my head for a few mins then worked out the problem. Yes , the
2 gang 2 way switch in the hallway which controlled the hall and landing lights had a single live feed connected across the 2 gangs. Really a borrowed live situation.So that was the problem but how to rectify?
1. Run a new live feed to the switch from RCD side of CU , problem is that this would require decoration being damaged outside bathroom. Customer not happy with this. Also you would then end up with 2 separate live feeds in the hallway switch , is this permissible? ( Landing light would be upstairs live feed and hallway downstairs live feed in same backbox).
2. Put both the downstairs and upstairs on same mcb in the RCD side of CU. This is easiest option but means that if RCD trips for any reason then all lights will be out. If customer is happy with this and signs a disclaimer is this a valid solution?
3. I have been advised by an electrician friend that maybe the answer is to fit 2 emergency lights , one in hall one on landing , that would come on if RCD trips. Not sure if cust would be happy with this disruption to decor.
So it seems that the relatively minor job of swapping a filament bulb for some downlighters would cause significant expense and disruption.
I favour solution 2 for minimum expense and disruption but if I did this am I in breach of any regs?

just leave it to the electrician to decide what he wants to do when he comes to connect the shower and fit the down lights. the best thing to do would be to sort the wiring out, the customer can paint the wall once the chase is filled in. its hardly a massive hardship for them.

Option 4: just let the guy that knows what he's doing (ie an electrician) do it. It's not your responsibility, so why put yourself at risk..

Reply to Revisiting "Borrowed Neutral - or Live" RCD trips in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock