Discuss Rewire in a day ........ in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Leesparkykent

Esteemed
Reaction score
Don't know how people do it on these social housing contracts......started a rewire yesterday at 8AM. Got in there and moved a few bits of furniture out that were left in there, ripped up the carpets as being replaced and skipped them. Me, another sparks, a mate and apprentice cracked right on and finished it tonight at 8PM so all in 20 hours work for 4 people. Basic 3 bedroom mid terrace house with 3 sockets, pendant and a switch in each bedroom, basic kitchen etc. The 20 hours was to 1st fix, fill chases ready for finish filler/plaster, second fix and test. That was really going for it.....I don't see how they can be done in a day to a good standard.

What was the rush - was it planned or fitted between jobs? Bet you are glad of a kip tonight!
It's a student let in Canterbury that we done the periodic on. The whole house was still in black rubber that's crumbling to pieces. The management company has moved the tenants out for one week...in that week the place needs rewiring, new boiler, new bathroom suite, decorating and carpeting. I agreed to get it done over the weekend to keep the schedule but steamed into it so didn't have to be there today.

Yeah, I saw one of these one day rewires on my dads place. It was aweful. No pride, messy ugly work. No attention to detail In and out in a day and then months of the surveyor returning with the housing officer to deal with resultant claims for damaged furniture, ruined wallpaper on non rewired walls and the theft of contents from the attic.

It's a problem when councils/ housing associations buy on the basis of the cheapest price. You end up with a job that's as rough as a badgers arnold! Worst case scenario you save a few quid on panels that aren't fire proof :(

Hi @Leesparkykent I am interested in your hours for that. If I understand correctly 8 am to 8 pm is 12 hours x 4 = 48 hours? = 6.8 days labour??? But you say 20 hours??? was that for four @ 20 hours each?? Sorry to be pedantic sounding but would love to know really how many "days" work that equates to in reality. So 6.8 x £250 per day = £1700 plus mats?? I realise you may not want to answer that last part.

@Vortigern 10 hours 1st day less hour break, 12 hours next day less hour break...so 20 hours for two sparks, a mate and a 1st year apprentice. You can't really work it out using the above though to see how long 1 sparks would take on his own as a mate and apprentice arent going to have the same knowledge/speed as me and my other sparks. On the other hand 1 sparks on his own isn't going to have the help pulling cables etc. I priced it at 3K.

I can't lie Lee I have been part of a one day rewire team and we did them to a good standard. It all hinges in the chopping out being neat if not it takes longer to box up longer to plaster you can't put accessories straight on blah blah blah. We were a team of 4 houses took from 7.30 till 5.00 upstairs flats finished by 2.00. Downstairs flats ran over the day due to the cornice trunking. We never once had a single recall. I did this for one year and id had enough. This is not sustainable. They were basic rewires no frills and this was some time ago. Don't think I could do it now.

I can't lie Lee I have been part of a one day rewire team and we did them to a good standard. It all hinges in the chopping out being neat if not it takes longer to box up longer to plaster you can't put accessories straight on blah blah blah. We were a team of 4 houses took from 7.30 till 5.00 upstairs flats finished by 2.00. Downstairs flats ran over the day due to the cornice trunking. We never once had a single recall. I did this for one year and id had enough. This is not sustainable. They were basic rewires no frills and this was some time ago. Don't think I could do it now.
That is going some mate. I had everything well organised for/on the job and it's a good install although done quick. I've got my NIC annual assessment on Tuesday and I'm going to show him it as one of the three jobs.

Well that is food for thought. I take my hat off to that. In the days of yore myself and the guy who taught me took five days monday to friday in empty house from start to finish. Worked from 9-5 so 40 hours each = 80 hours. Two way switching with sometimes 3 way, sockets and pendants etc. Plastered and tested out on friday. And it was properly plastered so you could not see the chase when papered or painted. No damaged mouldings anywhere we got behind and so on, a good job if I do say so myself. So essentially twice the time you took. Doubt I would do that even now never mind the time scale you mention.

Many moons ago the company I worked for hired us out to another firm to do occupied council house rewires. There were two sparkies to a house and the time given was 2day's start to finish. Needless to say it turned into a race with the guy's next door, we were working away one day and heard all this shouting and hollering coming from next door and later found out at dinner break that our guy's next door had to tip up the beds to get the the lazy son's out of bed. Ah! those were the day's!, we put up with the rewires for about a fortnight and then refused to go back, the standard of work was total crap and it was all put in to the site agents spec.

Cheers Lee, some bits were easy due to boards being previously lifted for central heating and it's surprising where you can fish cables from a run of boards up down the length of the upstairs landing, but on the other hand all the bedrooms had pull cords so we had to fish new switchwires down through lath and plaster and cut in flush boxes although the old plaster was just the right depth for a 16mm metal box. :)

Reply to Rewire in a day ........ in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net