Discuss Rewire Issues - Advice Needed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I recently had the house (3 bed semi) rewired and have come across some things that are causing me concern. I’ve made the Electricuan aware but have not yet had a proper response so I just want to get some alternative “expert” opinion.

Basically three issues.
1. The upstairs and downstairs sockets are now fed by an MCB, Type B rated 16A. I’m of the opinion these are probably too small and should be at least 20 if not 32A? For info we have 16 x 13A sockets downstairs alone. The reason ( I think) for it being 16A is explained below.
2. Downstairs, instead of rewiring a 60 year old property as a ring main, the Electrician has connected the sockets as radial spurs and fed them with 2.5mm cables from the ceiling void. Hence, I think, the reason why the breaker is only 16A? I don’t know why they were not run as a ring but shouldn’t the cable be at least 4mm, thus allowing a biggger MCB?
3. There was a single 13A socket which we had an extension block connected too, feeding tv, sky box, dvd etc. I wanted this changing to 4 new sockets (two doubles) to get rid of the extension block. The Electrician has also wired this as a spur and a spur off a spur, all run again in 2.5mm.

What are your thoughts on this and what would be your advice?

Was the power at your property totally rewired in other words all existing circuits removed with all new cabling fitted or are they alterations to the existing system.

How long have you been waiting for a response from your electrician?

Have you been issued with a certificate for the works?

16a radials in 2.5 are ok. But your electrician designed it so prob best he answers your questions to begin with.

How long have you been waiting for a response from your electrician?

Have you been issued with a certificate for the works?

16a radials in 2.5 are ok. But your electrician designed it so prob best he answers your questions to begin with.
Ask your Electrician if he has designed and installed the sockets in accordance with Appendix 15 BS7671?
Has he given you an EIC Electrical Installation Certificate for the new circuits he installed, and an Minor New Works Certificate for any circuits that have just been altered ?
Have you Paid him yet?

When the electrician did you a quote for the work, what was stated on the quote regarding the 16A?

Was the power at your property totally rewired in other words all existing circuits removed with all new cabling fitted or are they alterations to the existing system.
A bit of both. By this I mean the job was set as a complete Rewire but parts of the electrical wiring had had previously (in the past) been added or renewed. Where this was the case the Electrician said he checked the integrity and if it was sound he left it in place. I’d say 80% was rewired.

Hello and Welcome to the Forum- what a great name :) .
Yes 2.5mm2 conductors can normally support 20A loads at least. As the current carrying capacity is limited by heat dissipation it's often insulation in cavity walls and ceilings which causes design issues and may be why 16A MCB has been used in this case.

When the electrician did you a quote for the work, what was stated on the quote regarding the 16A?[/QUOTE
Nothing was discussed. Previously the circuit/sockets upstairs and down stairs were fed separately by a 20A fuse. So I was expecting at least the same to cope with the load/demand.

Can you be certain the circuits you quote in #1 have been completely rewired or are alterations to existing circuits left in place.

It’s a bit late to complain about the design of the circuit now it has been done. Should have been discussed at the design stage and put in writing if you wanted to be particular about it.

What is your knowledge on bs7671 and how did you come the conclusion that your not happy with the final design.

The electrician could have done a good job for all we no.

Nothing was discussed. Previously the circuit/sockets upstairs and down stairs were fed separately by a 20A fuse. So I was expecting at least the same to cope with the load/demand.

So what was stated on the quote?

16A on 2.5mm is usually fine.

But if you've had all your upstairs and downstairs rooms on one radial, then that's just really poor design (even though it may technically be fine according to regs). Not sure what you discussed or what your contract with electrician was but I would'nt settle for one radial feeding most of the property.

Kitchen appliances aside, would a standard domestic radial circuit get anywhere near 16 amps?

At fist sight it doesn’t sound like there is anything technically wrong; just a difference between what you thought you were getting/asking for and what the sparks did?

A note on point 3 - a spur, and rules on spurs from spurs etc only really apply to ring final circuts. This is because the protective device is sized for overload protection of two cables in parralel (each leg of the ring) and a spur wired in a single cable from this point would not be suficiently protected from overload.

A radial circuit (it sounds like this is what you have) can be split and branched off at any point, providing it is not overloaded.

Do you have 2 16A circuits? One for upstairs and one for down? If you have a seperate 3rd circuit for the kitchen (idealy 32a) you will probably have no issues with overloading. Things that could cause problems would be large loads such as heaters, tumble dryers, irons and possibly vaccum cleaners. But this should have all been considered as part of the design process.

Reply to Rewire Issues - Advice Needed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock