Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Rewire Issues - Advice Needed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Ohmslaw

Ohmslaw New EF Member

I recently had the house (3 bed semi) rewired and have come across some things that are causing me concern. I’ve made the Electricuan aware but have not yet had a proper response so I just want to get some alternative “expert” opinion.

Basically three issues.
    1. The upstairs and downstairs sockets are now fed by an MCB, Type B rated 16A. I’m of the opinion these are probably too small and should be at least 20 if not 32A? For info we have 16 x 13A sockets downstairs alone. The reason ( I think) for it being 16A is explained below.
    2. Downstairs, instead of rewiring a 60 year old property as a ring main, the Electrician has connected the sockets as radial spurs and fed them with 2.5mm cables from the ceiling void. Hence, I think, the reason why the breaker is only 16A? I don’t know why they were not run as a ring but shouldn’t the cable be at least 4mm, thus allowing a biggger MCB?
    3. There was a single 13A socket which we had an extension block connected too, feeding tv, sky box, dvd etc. I wanted this changing to 4 new sockets (two doubles) to get rid of the extension block. The Electrician has also wired this as a spur and a spur off a spur, all run again in 2.5mm.

What are your thoughts on this and what would be your advice?

2. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Was the power at your property totally rewired in other words all existing circuits removed with all new cabling fitted or are they alterations to the existing system.

3. Andy5678

Andy5678 Electrician's Arms

How long have you been waiting for a response from your electrician?

Have you been issued with a certificate for the works?

16a radials in 2.5 are ok. But your electrician designed it so prob best he answers your questions to begin with.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    Ask your Electrician if he has designed and installed the sockets in accordance with Appendix 15 BS7671?
    Has he given you an EIC Electrical Installation Certificate for the new circuits he installed, and an Minor New Works Certificate for any circuits that have just been altered ?
    Have you Paid him yet?

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Spoon

Spoon Trusted Advisor

When the electrician did you a quote for the work, what was stated on the quote regarding the 16A?

6. Ohmslaw

Ohmslaw New EF Member

A bit of both. By this I mean the job was set as a complete Rewire but parts of the electrical wiring had had previously (in the past) been added or renewed. Where this was the case the Electrician said he checked the integrity and if it was sound he left it in place. I’d say 80% was rewired.

7. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Hello and Welcome to the Forum- what a great name :) .
    Yes 2.5mm2 conductors can normally support 20A loads at least. As the current carrying capacity is limited by heat dissipation it's often insulation in cavity walls and ceilings which causes design issues and may be why 16A MCB has been used in this case.

8. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

What did the original quote say?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ohmslaw

Ohmslaw New EF Member

10. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Can you be certain the circuits you quote in #1 have been completely rewired or are alterations to existing circuits left in place.

11. Andy5678

Andy5678 Electrician's Arms

It’s a bit late to complain about the design of the circuit now it has been done. Should have been discussed at the design stage and put in writing if you wanted to be particular about it.

What is your knowledge on bs7671 and how did you come the conclusion that your not happy with the final design.

The electrician could have done a good job for all we no.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Spoon

Spoon Trusted Advisor

So what was stated on the quote?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. n180

n180 Active EF Member

16A on 2.5mm is usually fine.

But if you've had all your upstairs and downstairs rooms on one radial, then that's just really poor design (even though it may technically be fine according to regs). Not sure what you discussed or what your contract with electrician was but I would'nt settle for one radial feeding most of the property.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Any chance you could post a picture of the fuseboard?

AND for the benefit of any home owners perusing this thread, I would recommend you get several written quotes for this type of work ...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

Kitchen appliances aside, would a standard domestic radial circuit get anywhere near 16 amps?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1