Discuss Rewire Specification in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All

Just having a few issues with a customer.

Is there a minimum number of sockets/lights/etc anyone works with for a 3 bed House rewire?

What we installed:
Kitchen: LED Spot lights x 9, sockets x 5 double
Dinning Room: 3 Double Sockets
Lounge: 4 Double Sockets
Bedroom 1: 8 Double Sockets
Bedroom 2: 5 Double Sockets
Hall: 1 Double Socket
Landing: 2 Double Sockets
Garage SWA Supply

The Clint spec'ed the socket locations before starting.
How much would people charge for the above taking into account this was an emergency job and work had to start within 5 days because on quoting visit all the metal work was live!! L/N/E 0.12Mohms
Ze= 982ohms on TT, No RCD, no bonding.
Temp supply also installed at quoting

Your profile says you are an "LED installer". Could you just expand on that a little and offer some explanation as to why you are taking on this kind of work??

Odd there is 13 sockets between the two bedrooms and 7 between the dining room and lounge. But as Lee says there is plenty of guidance on this.

I'm intrigued by this one. What issues are you having with the customer? Daz

That's a lot of bedroom sockets! It's difficult to give a price without seeing the job. You changed bonding too? Did you put a new consumer unit?

What price did you charge, can give an idea of whether it's way over or under the normal price points.

Edit: Also did you not give an estimate to the customer before the job began? Emergency works or not I always supply an estimate before starting and get them to agree to it

In my book, regarding the amount of socket= they get what they are prepared to pay for, you are under no obligation to run with part M this is only for new builds. Not rewires, like for like if need be.

You say you quoted a price for it, and you say the quantity of sockets was spec'd. I don't see what the issue is? Am I being stupid here? Daz

I wanna know whether it's been PME'd or have you now got a decent Ra. That was not mentioned in the OP.

The right number is whatever the client requests/is willing to pay for.

That seems about average if rather a lot for a bedroom.

If you don't mind me asking was this quoted price with specified numbers, a quoted hourly rate or do what clients asks then they express shock at the big bill at the end?

I don't think I've ever had a client ring me up with the old "desperate to have this done right away I'll pay whatever" line thats actually gone ahead once I've looked and given them a price, I think these people's angle is to exploit any ambiguity.

Reply to Rewire Specification in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net