Discuss Rewire,what would you quote? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Maccas

-
Reaction score
Hi
Been asked to give a quote for a complete rewire and new extension.
The property is a four bedroom with new bedroom and ensuite added to make it a five bed.
Ground floor has new wc,utility room,study and family room.
I have broken it down into points,what is the going rate per point for the different items?
The new CCU is to be moved approx seven metres so an SWA will need to be installed along with a Switchfuse.Do you put a separate price in for chasing and plastering?
Here are the number of points
42 Double sockets (9 of which are next to each other.
5 Fused spurs and single sockets.
38 Downlights
7 Pendants
3 Outside lights (customer to supply)
22 Switches (8 of which are two way/3 intermediate
1 Cooker
5 Smokes/Heat
1 Shaver point
1 CCU
1 Gas/Water bonding
5 Fans (3 to cut 100mm holes in walls/2 in roof vents)
Would like to hear your views on how you would price this either per point or day rate plus materials?
I have an idea of a price but would be nice to see if I'm way out or not.
Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks

I find it interesting when these questions come up. Surely you price for the materials plus a profit along with a labour rate based on time estimate?

Hi Alan
To be honest that is the way I thought and have done so in the past but a ex workmate is now out on his own and says pricing per point is the only way.

Hi Telectrix
How did you come to this figure?per point?
roughly, yes. but bear in mind, point pricing can vary widely depending on what fittings are specified.

agree 7-8 k sounds about right for a house that size. I usually put plastering/making good to be done by others, but the chasing would imo be up to you to do yourself or factor in a labourer. And waste/stripped out materials to be disposed of by the customer. unless you have a waste carriers licence and want to factor that in.

keep it simple, use good quality but sensibly priced materials.

Hi Alan
To be honest that is the way I thought and have done so in the past but a ex workmate is now out on his own and says pricing per point is the only way.

It's definitely not. Price per point assumes all things being equal, nothing that causes delays, same materials used every time, and all operatives working at the same speed.

I tend to price jobs the same way the pinball wizard plays pinball, by sense of smell. I tried to work out a detailed per point scale for myself once. Didn't work for me at all save for a few rough figures I still use.

About £10-12k plus materials, if it's within 1/2 an hour of me based on what you say for fully chased in no making good, no removal of waste, void property, no floor coverings, or done by others.
with all due respect, paul: you work in the higher end of the industry. on a domestic , unless dealing with the rich to whom money is no object, you'd never win a job at that level of pricing.

Reply to Rewire,what would you quote? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net