Discuss Rewiring Ceiling Light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Can we all refrain from the cheap quips towards the OP, we will not allow the kind of replies we are seeing carry on.
(Since been deleted)

If you have positive or negative advice for the OP then please post it as long as it is respectful and constructive. Let's not continue to see the thread taken off course any further.

Hi OP. I apologise if my post #11 came across like I was having a dig at you. It wasn't meant that way. I am quite abrupt in my posts.
The comment about "missing common sense" was a dig, but at some graduates and not directed at anyone in particular.

Snapped not broke and anyways I always replace both shoe laces at the same time and Telectrix tells me you are still on velcro fasteners for your footwear ;o))))))

Thank you for the correction, you pedantic gentleman.. ( I mean 'gentleman' in it's broadest sense, you being a southerner..) :tearsofjoy:

@Spoon - there was one particular comment that was deleted as it was beyond what we accept, I also tidied up a few others that gave nothing to the thread, your comment was left alone, maybe reworded it would have come across better but I didn't think it warranted deleting as I got the point you were making.

A bit of banter and a joke should be acceptable.

Next it'll be the grammar Police.......

If it was banter between regular members who know each other well and know each others humour then yes I have no issue with a bit of ribbing and maybe the odd inappropriate comment within reason but this was in reference to a member who is an infrequent visitor with a small post count so making such a comment is deemed inappropriate as it can be take offensively and to add to that it was reported more than once so I am not alone in thinking on this occasion it stepped over the boundary just a little too much, as no infractions were given I didn't consider it warranted anything more than a reflection on how the OP may take such a comment.

I have never been a fan of Grandma police personally, they add little to the thread content and detract from the original theme of the thread, I will of course challenge anyone posting content that is confusing and hard to decipher due to bad grammar and/or spelling but not because of a missing comma or fullstop :)

the Good News: Well its all fixed. AFAICT from the information provided, had the original (presumed) electrician followed the rules, my life would have been somewhat easier. Add that to the fact that there was no slack in the wires through the ceiling at all meant either a trip to the roof void (OOB since its leasehold) or endless fiddling to the the wires to reach the relevant connectors.

And for that, thanks to Telectrix & Pete999 & Burns (twice): nice simple to follow instructions. Sadly mechanical difficulties made adherence tricky (See above). Guys like you give forums a good name

As to others: Spoons (#11) seemed to me a pretty fair comment which which I entirely concur. I found the switch wire (no problem) but in the pain of getting the leads to reach, lost sight of it! (That's the trouble with degrees, no practical experience!)

Littlespark (#10) elsparko (16) True O king(s) but where is the challenge, the excitement, the danger and hopefully the sense of achievement?

Spoon (#13) Common sense: that rarest of all commodities! How else was he supposed to learn. I suppose he could have signed onto a forum and received a load of abuse :). Anyway plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery!

As for the deleted posts: disappointing - both that they were posted and that I was denied the right of reply :)!!

So, to all who contributed. thanks for you participation both for
- the helpful bits that brought my aspirations to a successful conclusion (and earned me several free pints); and
- the amusing bits that filled in time while I was waiting for stuff.

For those of you who missed the chance to poke fun at an innocent, I will be back. Watch this space!!

Had my own version of this today, customer bought a fancy lights, took ceiling roses down and left it all hanging when she got confused. each light is on 2 way switching. Get there nothing is marked 1 is obviously the feed in, 1 is the switch then 2 outgoing cables to next fittings. for one of which the electrician used 3 core and cut the grey off. only thing is somewhere in the ceiling the cables appear to change colour! they used old and new and joined them, so on the next light along the cables changes to new. at this one there is 3 cables, one feed in from first light,one switch and the 3rd goes to a unknown fitting? nope it goes back to another fitting creating a ring within the radial and is also live. She tucked 2 of the cables in the ceiling out of sight so was unaware and the light was constantly on from the feed in which bypassed the switch enitrely.She only told me about the 2 hidden cables when i asked some questions about things not connecting as i expected.
Given the state of it i told her she will need a rcbo as she had no rcd and given these were nice metal fittings and cables not >50mm in wall and ceiling. she was fine with this thankfully. As I was not happy to connect them up otherwise. she herself said she had a few shocks when trying it herself.
Having identified the cables and labelled them due to the darkness tonight I was unable to fix the lights in, as i need to add a small piece of wood in the ceiling to take the weight. She had until now glued the bracket in place!. I had no free day slots for next week, so she is getting somebody else to do that bit. I just wish everybody even diyers label the damn cables before they disconnect everything. and say if they join different colours with a pretty sticker at the cu.

Glued the bracket to the ceiling !!
Yes. she said the joist was on the edge of the cable whole in ceiling so put one wonky screw in joist and glued the other side of the metal bracket to the ceiling with superglue! I am secretly glad i am not fitting them now.... I regretted the job once i saw the extra cables and mismatched colouring. But why push 2 wires up in a hole the size of a 10pence piece? i had to cut a much bigger hole to pull them down. she didnt think they were needed apparently as the light came on and stayed on so thought issue was the switch!

Reply to Rewiring Ceiling Light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net