Discuss rewiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

AJAY198887

Hi, I have just bought a ground floor massinette, and asked my electrician for an electrician certificate. He went into the property and opened a few sockets to have a look at the wiring behind. The wiring looks in extremely good condition but is only black and red separate single wires (not 2 wires in an outer casing). There is no earth wire. The sockets have a wooden box behind them instead of the more modern metal ones. My electrician has stated that I have to have the full rewiring redone in the whole flat. I just wanted to check if there was any way around having to get the full rewiring done as the massionette is fully decorated to a high spec.
Thanks in advance.

Hi, I have just bought a ground floor massinette, and asked my electrician for an electrician certificate. He went into the property and opened a few sockets to have a look at the wiring behind. The wiring looks in extremely good condition but is only black and red separate single wires (not 2 wires in an outer casing). There is no earth wire. The sockets have a wooden box behind them instead of the more modern metal ones. My electrician has stated that I have to have the full rewiring redone in the whole flat. I just wanted to check if there was any way around having to get the full rewiring done as the massionette is fully decorated to a high spec.
Thanks in advance.
Did "your Electrician" get any test instruments out or did he just take a few accessories of and take a look, before you do anything, get a reputable Electrician in to carry out an Electrical Installation Condition Report more commonly called an EICR, may cost about £200 but at least you will have written and documented evidence that the installation is either OK or not.

He did take out an instrument that he plugged into the sockets and said the readings are a little bit low. The fuse box is brand new (17th edition).

Seen light switches on wood backings, never a socket.

IMO, he could be correct, wooden back boxes is a no no, in the sense if it needed rewiring they would need to be changed, is it red black pvc or VIR.? More info is needed regarding his test, could be low IR.

If you have a new 17th edition CU, you must have an Electrical Installation Certificate for it when you purchased. As "Enquiries" by your conveyancer would have picked this up and requested appropriate certification. On the other hand it could not be certified if there was no earth. In fact I for one would not agree to put a new CU in an installation with no earth. Have you a copy of the certificate. If this was not flagged during conveyance and settled with a certificate I would be suing the conveyancer.

Has anyone ever seen wooden back boxes??? I have seen plinths/pattress but never sunken box. I suspect this is metal conduit with singles drawn through. If so I may be possible to draw an earth through and change the boxes. A picture would soon scotch that conjecture.

IMO, he could be correct, wooden back boxes is a no no, in the sense if it needed rewiring they would need to be changed, is it red black pvc or VIR.? More info is needed regarding his test, could be low IR.
More likely a" Socket and See Tester" could be a DIY Dave electrician.

Has anyone ever seen wooden back boxes??? I have seen plinths/pattress but never sunken box. I suspect this is metal conduit with singles drawn through. If so I may be possible to draw an earth through and change the boxes. A picture would soon scotch that conjecture.
Still see them generally on the lighting even though the power may have been rewired. Actually found one last year on the stairs lighting all the rest was okay.

I've seen plenty of flush wooden switch boxes but never with sockets.

could even be conduit with the condiut used as cpc. further investigation by a competent electrician id needed before you go ripping the flat apart to rewire.

Get another opinion from another electrician.

Like others, I haven't seen an installation where the socket patrices are wooden - only light switches.

Reply to rewiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock