Discuss RF interference from wind turbine?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a customer who wants to install an internet bridge. The equipment is quite cheap if you use the 5Ghz frequency, but to save costs I would like to put the receiver on an existing wind turbine mast, which has a 2.5kW turbine on it.

My question is, would the turbine motor be likely to cause RF interference with the receiver? It would be mounted about 3 mtrs below the motor.

The salesperson for the receiver says no, I'm interested in other opinions.

Thanks for any help...

Ben

Hello all,

I have a customer who wants to install an internet bridge. The equipment is quite cheap if you use the 5Ghz frequency, but to save costs I would like to put the receiver on an existing wind turbine mast, which has a 2.5kW turbine on it.

My question is, would the turbine motor be likely to cause RF interference with the receiver? It would be mounted about 3 mtrs below the motor.

The salesperson for the receiver says no, I'm interested in other opinions.

Thanks for any help...

Ben
Can't help I'm afraid

You need someone with a spectrum analyser.
I was going to suggest a chepo TV dongle SDR but they only go to about 1.5 / 2 ghz

Other thought , do they cope with a bit of microphony .
Rubber mount ?
( Mechanical vibration .. not tried beating one with a rubber stick !)
Remember some transmited mechanical noise on a local towerblock .(may have just been reflected sound,from blades - poor windows )

( Moving blades getting in reflected signal paths may get interesting )

A lot will depend on the radio propagation of the antenna you intend to use as to how far below the blade tips you will need to be to avoid fresel zone incursion of the radio path.

We had an intermittent fault on a wind farm microwave link. Every so often there would be a very short but repetitive transmission break that was messing with the backhaul.

When the wind changed direction the head would rotate and the blades were blocking the link as they spun, the link installer got some grief for that one...

Luckily the prevailing wind will put the blades on the other side of the mast to the receiver for the vast majority of the time, but I want to avoid the problem entirely because the link will be for general internet use not simply data logging info. I am making a bridge from someone with a Fibre connection to someone else on a very poor broadband connection miles from the exchange.

Have you used the Link simulator software to calculate the link performance should give you a good indication of what you can expect from the radio kit

No, thats new on me! thanks looks interesting. trees are my biggest concern, do you have much experience with this? There is not much tree cover, but what there is lies about 100mtrs away from the receiver - I imagine the software cannot account for this

No, thats new on me! thanks looks interesting. trees are my biggest concern, do you have much experience with this? There is not much tree cover, but what there is lies about 100mtrs away from the receiver - I imagine the software cannot account for this

You need a good point to point line of sight as mentioned earlier fresel incursion which could be trees, buildings, masts / pylons can compromise data throughput as can heavy rain. I have not actually looked at the software I linked to but most software for radio calcs can take account of expected regional rainfall.
When I was involved in installing data radio equipment with frequencies from 2.4 to 60GHz and antenna sizes ranging from 100mm square flat plates to 2.4M diameter dishes in the UK & Europe the company I subbed for had path profiling software that took account of earth curvature, ground profile, woodland and even man made objects it linked to OS maps and was expensive although it was no substitute for the human eyeball and a physical survey the desktop exercise just prevented the traveling to look at jobs that had no chance of working although some customers would pay for 3 or more radio links to get around obstructions to provide 1 data link between sites

Reply to RF interference from wind turbine?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net