Discuss Ridiculous situation with the DNO and the MOP on a domestic install in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ACL

-
Reaction score
I have been trying to replace a CU on a domestic property.

During my initial checks, there was no isolator and the earth was only 6mm on a TN-C-S. There is a label stuck to the cut out stating that it was PME. The cut out is a long brown Bakelite style with no access to the PME earth point.

I spoke to the DNO (UK Power Networks) and they advised me to speak to the meter operator (British Gas) about the isolator. I then asked them about upgrading the 6mm earth and they initially said they would book it as a call for them to come out pull the cut out and upgrade the earth.

I speak to the MOP (British Gas) and they tell me that it is against the law for me to pull the cut out and that the customer needs to book an isolator to be installed at a cost of £31.42. The customer duly books and pays for the isolator. I also tell them about the upgrade to the earth at which point they tell me to talk to the DNO (UK Power Networks) and proceed to give me the number that I already have.

That is when I received the call back from the DNO who said that they would not come out and upgrade the earth as the MOP would do this when they fit the isolator. I explain that the MOP have told me to contact the DNO to organise but they said that the MOP would do this without any problem.

I've been on site now for 2 hours talking to various companies with the customer in the middle having to talk to that same people about something they know nothing about, stopping every now and again to speak to me to make sure they relay the information correctly.

So the MOP is booked for Monday (today), I'm not available, he duly arrived and fitted the isolator but would not upgrade the earth, said he was not allowed to and would not do it.
He then told the customer that the electrician can pull the cut out and upgrade the earth ?????????????

This is a ridiculous and frustrating situation. If the MOP had allowed me to pull the cut out I could have carried out the isolator install and upgraded the earth and informed them that the work was happening. They could have saved their engineer (I use this term loosely) a visit and an isolator which must have cost them way more than the £31.42 they charged. Then they could just re-seal the cut out on their next meter reading visit.

I am now in a situation where, when I go back to site, I will have to contact the DNO and inform them that the MOP did not upgrade the earth, they will then ask me to phone the MOP and I will be in a continuous circle of finger pointing.

Very frustrated :prrr:

I can not speak for other energy suppliers, but we do not have anything to do with earthing arrangements at all, if we own the DNO in parts of the country that is an different story. WPD run the area I work in an I advise all my customers that it is them that will do that if needed, FYI all new type cut outs are self connect accessible. What size current rating is the cut out.?

7029 Dave
I have seen many of the new grey coloured PME cut out units with access to the PME point.
The cut out states 60/80Amp but can't say for sure. The existing CU is an old Wylex with 5 re-wireable fuses, so I'm guessing it's probably 60Amp. Small 3 bed terraced property.

Last edited:
I have worked on properties supplied by SSE they do seem to have a more realistic handle on the situation.

Yes, the last time I had a service and meter moved by them they fitted an isolator, measured and wrote the Ze on the cutout and even gave us the choice of which of the two nearby poles the new overhead line would come from and which route they would clip it on the outside of the house.

The last one ukpn did was bing bang bosh and moan about having to move the meter as well as the cutout.

7029 Dave
I have seen many of the new grey coloured PME cut out units with access to the PME point.
The cut out states 60/80Amp but can't say for sure. The existing CU is an old Wylex with 5 re-wireable fuses, so I'm guessing it's probably 60Amp. Small 3 bed terraced property.
I would get the customer or yourself to speak to the DNO, state you would like to upgrade the main earth to the MET. IMO it is not your worry if they wont.

I imaging ACL from the gist of this thread, you are forming a picture in your head that this bunch of reprobates would have just (illegally I may add (unless you meet reg 537.1.3 (see note) :) )) pulled the cut out. I would never do this, I would do exactly the same as you did and spend all my time and energy trying to act as a mediator between the DNO, British Gas and customer because that is the correct thing to do ;-)

Last edited:
NEDL are sensible too.

Except when they turn up with no bloody 16/25mm tails on their van. And you end up having to give them some to get the job sorted!! But yeah, the NEDL lads in vans have always been spot on. Call centre staff not quite so good.

Except when they turn up with no bloody 16/25mm tails on their van. And you end up having to give them some to get the job sorted!! But yeah, the NEDL lads in vans have always been spot on. Call centre staff not quite so good.
That get you the favours though. Good as gold around here they are.

That get you the favours though. Good as gold around here they are.

Yeah had a couple of freebies; insulated Allen keys for the isos, and some seals. It would only really be the office staff I find hard work. The Freedom employees are all decent that I have met also. There is one team that happily go that extra mile to sort stuff out to everyone's satisfaction.

Yeah had a couple of freebies; insulated Allen keys for the isos, and some seals. It would only really be the office staff I find hard work. The Freedom employees are all decent that I have met also. There is one team that happily go that extra mile to sort stuff out to everyone's satisfaction.

They are polite though.:smile5: Ask to speak to an engineer if you have a problem , they are really helpful.

What's a seal?

A pair of Farne Island seals - they "bark" with a Northumbrian accent.

Ridiculous situation with the DNO and the MOP on a domestic install {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Reply to Ridiculous situation with the DNO and the MOP on a domestic install in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock