Discuss Ring circuit cable length in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yr ys

-
Reaction score
Hi all

I have a ring circuit with 13 sockets. 2.5 mm 3 core cable. My floor area is 60 sqm My question is what is the maximum wire length for a single ring circuit? I used 92 meters of wire for the whole ring circuit.

Also I only had a c type rcbo available at my local electrician. Will this be OK or do I need a type b? It's a TT system. Another question is, do I need a rcd in TT systems as the rcbo is a single pole? Would a 63a 100ma rcd be sufficient?

Thank you

I am guessing the C type RCD will not meet disconnection times but then you are in Nicosia? Might be entirely different there. Have you tested it?

Hi and thank you for your reply .

There really isn't much regulation going on but I want it to be safe for my family. So I want to do what's best. I will have to find type b rcbos for the sockets but I think they will be OK for 6amp lighting circuits.

yourtype C Rcbos will be fine as long as (for a 32A) the Zs is < 0.54 for the circuit.

In accordance with BS7671 and in the UK table 7.1 in the on site guide the maximum length of cable when using a 32A type C RCBO would be limited to 82m on the basis of the current flowing on a line neutral short circuit overheating the cable where the resistance of the Line Neutral external loop was 0.35Ω. If you were using a type B then the limit would be 106m. However if the L to N loop resistance were lower then the disconnection time would be faster and less strain on the cable.
Using a single pole RCBO on a TT system would not clear a neutral to earth fault and this would progress back to the next RCD. For BS7671 then there should be double pole isolation at least somewhere in the installation.

re. ^^^^^.i would only use one if i had to e.g TT earthing, as if it trips, youlose the whole installation. rotten fish in frezer etc.

Yes we eat our fish fresh here but I have to get my Cumberland sausages frozen so it would be good to avoid a whole house fault trip.

But I can't use single pole rcds with tt earthing. What if it was ufer earthing? Also is it good to use 100ma main rcd with 30 ma rcbos?

A 100mA RCD might trip before a 30mA RCD depending on the type of fault and the characteristics of the RCDs.
To ensure discrimination the 100mA RCD would need to be time delayed i.e type S.
If I were installing I might tend to go for an upfront time delayed 100mA RCD and then a split load Dual RCD board, though obviously RCBOs would be better if you can get them in double pole versions.

If you had good Ufer earthing and the resistance to earth was then low enough to trip your MCBs then you would be OK with just RCBOs.

How low would the resistance to earth have to be to trip a neutral to earth fault? My home has a radial foundation 50cm thick concrete and rebar. I'd have to break the concrete to access the rebar and then connect a 16 mm2 earth cable about 2 meters from my consumer unit. Then reseal the concrete to prevent corrosion.

My power is coming from a 10000kva inverter with a 60 meter long 16 mm2x2 10mm2 earth cable just for your info.

Reply to Ring circuit cable length in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net