Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Ring circuit question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Neil73

Neil73 EF Member

Hi, first post.

I was hoping for some advice. I have just brought a property and the electrical side needs updating. I have one ring main for the whole property, so why I am doing up the kitchen I have decided to put a separate ring main in for the kitchen, my issue is what should I do with the existing sockets in the room? should I put a blank faceplate on them? I am not sure how I can separate them from the existing ring main circuit, and utilise them in the new kitchen circuit without causing issues to the existing ring circuit.

Appreciate any advice

2. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Might want to get an Electrician to help you out Mate

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Hi Neil, welcome to the forum. I'm not sure of your electrical expertise or competence.

It would be a good idea to create a new & additional circuit for a kitchen & appliances. The existing RFC in the kitchen would require alteration & disconnection etc, in the floor void or by alteration of sockets in the floor above. A new final circuit could then be added for the kitchen.

This would be a relatively simple task for a competent electrician, but would cause a bit of disruption, of removing floors, or removal of some or all of the kitchen ceiling.

By definition, the new kitchen circuit would require notification to your local building control.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SparkyChick

SparkyChick Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    Ideally, you would identify the full cable route, which ideally would be that the kitchen section is separate (i.e. there is one cable into it and one cable out of it, with no other sockets, say first floor, being supplied by it). If that situation exists, it's easy enough to split the existing ring and run new legs to supply the kitchen only, if not then I'd look at rewiring it as you don't want to have lots of additional connections as each one is a possible point of failure in the future.

You're not clear on what qualifications you have, but as has been suggested, you may be best to engage the services of someone with a little more experience.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

Sounds like your sockets are fed from an upstairs ring, easiest option is to completely rip the ceiling out and start from fresh in the kitchen. The existing RFC can be rerouted at the same time.

6. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

And the term is RING FINAL circuit, not RING MAIN.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  7. Neil73

Neil73 EF Member

Hi, Thanks for all your reply's so far. Just so you are aware I am City and Guilds trained, however I have never been a practicing electrician as I went in a different direction. I would never attempted anything I was confident I knew I was doing.
    Thanks

8. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Please be aware what you are thinking of falls under part P of the building regs ..

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    No offence TTC for the old tag, but I always get an Old tag when I post the same as you so I thought why should you get away without one as well:p:D:tongue:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  10. Taylortwocities

I’ll bet we aren’t as ‘old’ as his C&G training. :pHis post indicates he doesn’t remember so well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Question is "what is the C&G" qualification?

12. Taylortwocities

13. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

Could be city and guilds arts and crafts for all we know. Be careful as if your not a practicing electrician you could land yourself in danger

14. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Lets not scare off another new member, he's only asking a question.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

True - he may be back soon to update us on his thoughts re the "relevant" comments about what he would like to do...