Discuss Ring circuit question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Neil73

-
Reaction score
Hi, first post.

I was hoping for some advice. I have just brought a property and the electrical side needs updating. I have one ring main for the whole property, so why I am doing up the kitchen I have decided to put a separate ring main in for the kitchen, my issue is what should I do with the existing sockets in the room? should I put a blank faceplate on them? I am not sure how I can separate them from the existing ring main circuit, and utilise them in the new kitchen circuit without causing issues to the existing ring circuit.

Appreciate any advice

Hi Neil, welcome to the forum. I'm not sure of your electrical expertise or competence.

It would be a good idea to create a new & additional circuit for a kitchen & appliances. The existing RFC in the kitchen would require alteration & disconnection etc, in the floor void or by alteration of sockets in the floor above. A new final circuit could then be added for the kitchen.

This would be a relatively simple task for a competent electrician, but would cause a bit of disruption, of removing floors, or removal of some or all of the kitchen ceiling.

By definition, the new kitchen circuit would require notification to your local building control.

Ideally, you would identify the full cable route, which ideally would be that the kitchen section is separate (i.e. there is one cable into it and one cable out of it, with no other sockets, say first floor, being supplied by it). If that situation exists, it's easy enough to split the existing ring and run new legs to supply the kitchen only, if not then I'd look at rewiring it as you don't want to have lots of additional connections as each one is a possible point of failure in the future.

You're not clear on what qualifications you have, but as has been suggested, you may be best to engage the services of someone with a little more experience.

Sounds like your sockets are fed from an upstairs ring, easiest option is to completely rip the ceiling out and start from fresh in the kitchen. The existing RFC can be rerouted at the same time.

Hi, Thanks for all your reply's so far. Just so you are aware I am City and Guilds trained, however I have never been a practicing electrician as I went in a different direction. I would never attempted anything I was confident I knew I was doing.
Thanks

And the term is RING FINAL circuit, not RING MAIN.
No offence TTC for the old tag, but I always get an Old tag when I post the same as you so I thought why should you get away without one as well:p:D:tongue:

Last edited:
Could be city and guilds arts and crafts for all we know. Be careful as if your not a practicing electrician you could land yourself in danger

Hi, first post.

I was hoping for some advice. I have just brought a property and the electrical side needs updating. I have one ring main for the whole property, so why I am doing up the kitchen I have decided to put a separate ring main in for the kitchen, my issue is what should I do with the existing sockets in the room? should I put a blank faceplate on them? I am not sure how I can separate them from the existing ring main circuit, and utilise them in the new kitchen circuit without causing issues to the existing ring circuit.

Appreciate any advice
Hi, IMO, leave the existing circuit as is, and just create new circuit for the new.

Hi, first post.

Appreciate any advice
delete

Hi, IMO, leave the existing circuit as is, and just create new circuit for the new.
Hi Dave, another electrician has said to me to leave the existing sockets as they're and then add another ring circuit for the new sockets i need in the kitchen, and then add a note at the consumer unit. However i was not sure if this would be a good idea, as there would be a mixture of sockets from different ring circuits in the same room?

Its all very well adding a note on a CU .............. but with how much detail?

So many CU's are not labelled or very poorly labelled.

Safe isolation is the key

And its not unusual in a kitchen to have 4 or more circuits.............

Reply to Ring circuit question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock