Discuss Ring doorbell Pro installation help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone on here have any experience wiring a Ring doorbell Pro from scratch? All the information provided by ring is if you were replacing an existing doorbell installation. Contacted Ring but they were less then helpful

Ok and what about mechanical chime? I know I take power source to transformer but irs making sure I have correct connections between transformer, chime and doorbell. That's what I need wiring diagram for

I thought it was quite simply; if you have a suitable existing doorbell transformer, use that. If not get one, if not is has to rely on battery power.
The mystery of WiFi I can't explain, but it does it through space man (not spaceman i.e. buzz)
Or am I missing your point LWB?

As far as I'm aware, if there is no existing chime, you should use the transformer supplied with the Ring pro and connect the in-line fuse (also supplied) in one of the lines from the tranformer to the door bell.

When installed alongside an existing chime, the chime is bypassed using the in-line fuse.

Thanks all for your help. It was more the chime I was considering, is the chime that comes with the ring a plug in one then? So in that case I would only need to wire from transformer to the doorbell

Thanks all for your help. It was more the chime I was considering, is the chime that comes with the ring a plug in one then? So in that case I would only need to wire from transformer to the doorbell

Yes, the chime for the Ring Pro is a plug-in unit that you can site anywhere. To the best of my knowledge the Ring Pro cannot drive external chimes.

In terms of connections, yes I believe it's straight through from the transformer to the door bell unit but you should be sure to include the in-line fuse supplied.

If you buy the version with the chime, it comes with a transformer too. You need to put this in a suitable enclosure (e.g. ESE2) and supply from a suitable source (e.g. 3A SFCU) if you don't have an existing bell transformer that does 24V (unlikely, most are about 8V). Bell wire from the transformer to the doorbell.

Once power is applied, set up the app on the customer's phone (they will need to register etc). The doorbell generates its own wifi network, the phone (via the app) connects to this, the two are paired, the app then tells the doorbell about the house wifi (gives it the house wifi password), doorbell and phone then switch to using that.

Plug in chime. Tell app you have a chime. It should find it (again, the chime generates its own wifi network which the phone app links to, then tells the chime about the house wifi, then they both switch to that).

A right faff, particularly when you get to the point of installing the chime and it fails to light up or in fact do anything, and you end up talking to Chuck in the USA for half an hour while they sort out shipping a replacement so you don't have to uninstall the doorbell and transformer and get the customer to return them to John Lewis.

I always, always do these jobs on a "by the hour" basis as you never know what little gremlins of joy you're going to discover. :)

Ring door bells are really easy. I'm pretty sure instruction in box but wire 240v to transformer then to doorbell. Job done. I've done two or three of these. So easy.
Really good de ice for security I thought.

Reply to Ring doorbell Pro installation help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock