Discuss Ring Final Tests in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
testing a ring final today
end to end test L 0.24 N 0.24 CPC 0.37
figure of 8 L1 -CPC 2 L2 - CPC 1 0.25
L1 - N 2 L2 - N 1 no reading
IR >999

cant figure out why open circuit on figure of 8 any answers?

So you have done your r1, r2 and rN and got satisfactory results, yes? I would hazard a guess that you are either making a mistake in connecting the figure of 8 or you have dodgy connections when taking readings

Check your instrument, test leads and adaptors for possible intermittent connections. Otherwise what you are claiming is that when connected in parallel the L & N (measuerd OK at 0.24Ω) both went open circuit at the same time. Also obviously the L/CPC reading was too high.

On my tester (Megger 1730), Continuity is always measured between the same two terminals (Red and Green), so to test continuity in a socket between live and neutral I need to change the tester terminals and plug the Neutral of the plug adapter into the terminal usually reserved for the CPC (Red plug lead into red on tester, and blue plug lead into green on tester). I hope this makes sense but did you change the inputs to the tester for failed test?

hang on. in the op you say you're not getting a reading L1 N2 etc. well, you should not. you are cross connecting the L's and cpc's so you should only get readings between these. the N's are not relevant.

hang on. in the op you say you're not getting a reading L1 N2 etc. well, you should not. you are cross connecting the L's and cpc's so you should only get readings between these. the N's are not relevant.
Think OP is referring to 'step 2' of RFC test, cross connection of live & neutral conductors to confirm correct connection of conductors at each outlet. According to his figures he should be obtain a reading of 0.12 ohms (0.24+0.24/4). Or have I misinterpreted both you & OP?

OP was your reading for r1+r2/4, 0.24, obtained at the CU ends. As Lucien said it's high, should be around 0.15ohms, although the reading for r2, should be around 0.40oms without parallel paths.

OP was your reading for r1+r2/4, 0.24, obtained at the CU ends. As Lucien said it's high, should be around 0.15ohms, although the reading for r2, should be around 0.40oms without parallel paths.
Making the assumption we are measuring 6242y cable?

Sounds like a problem with the test procedure or interconnections to me. I can't see how you could have an open circuit if the end to end of both L & N conductors have continuity...? Or am I missing something also?

If I use the plug connector on my Metrel it will only test between the live pin and the earth pin. So for these tests I have to use an adapter that I can plug the leads in to manually.

As per Hightower - need an adapter plug with the Metrels. Daz

Reply to Ring Final Tests in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock