Discuss Ring main fault. Found this. ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Called to a ring main fault. Customer has had some work done about 3/4 months ago. Have not yet found the fault but noticed on inspection 3 of these ring main extensions. What do you think. 15amp thru crimps!!

Attachments

• 2012-04-05 09.19.39.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 137
Stolen from IET site

Generally the standard for the coloured 415/240V crimp terminals are:

Red - 0.5 - 1.5mm² - Max rating 20A
Blue - 1.5mm - 2.5mm² - Max rating 30A
Yellow - 4.00mm - 6.00mm² - Max rating 50A

No mechanical protection on the joint though, unless you've removed it?...

Last edited:
Better than chock blocks! As per previous post I've always thought (and been taught) they were ok on ring mains but I don't use them unless enclosed in trunking or box etc, in this case a MF JB would have been more acceptable. Can't beat em for extending cables on a con unit change.

Nowt wrong with the crimps, where's the enclosure though?

The rising cables from the crimps are also not in prescribed zones

Is it just me or is that green sleeving on the new cpc?

Gota say them joints are good compared to things , we no doupt have seen before. ok it now means the drops run outside the prescribed zone, but in the real world small things like this are sometimes done, would be nice to have seen them covered, but at least its not just choc blocks or worst just twisted and covered in tape.... I bet you havent found the fault yet and are saying its because of this bad install.

edit.. sorry you say ring main fault. what kind of fault are you trying to find?

you could quote to rip the floor up and rewire the legs back and then re run in prescribed zones with no joint...:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Ring main fault. Found this. ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net