Discuss Ring main fault in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

eagleeye

I was called to a friends flat today after he had heard a big bang from the ring main. He said he checked the CU and the MCB was tripped, so not knowing anything about electrics he put it back on, he said it stayed on for a couple of seconds then tripped again. I went round to have a look and carried out a meg test on the circuit. L - E fine, N - E fine but the L - N is showing a dead short. Reading was 0.00. I checked that i had unpluged everything and i had. Circuit is run in singles and in metal conduit in concrete floors and walls. Im going back tomorrow to investergate further but has anyone got any ideas what it could be ?

ah its a bugger when its in conduit like that! my approach would be take one leg of the ring out of the consumer unit then start at each accessory, disconnect each accessory and IR test each link one by one untill you get a clear reading, i had this once, turned out a spur out the back of socket was supplying an outside light filled with water :eek: other than a dodgy spur or hidden appliance still plugged in? good luck anyway!

Reply to Ring main fault in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi guys. Having a weird problem in a house that has suddenly happened. One half of the ring main has 240ish volts (fluctuates of course), and...
Replies
Views
Please advise what I should test / check next. My usual qualified electrician who did all of the work here is in Ireland for 4 weeks and not...
Replies
Views
Ring main was on a c40 rcbo so I tested the circuit everything was fine and dropped down onto a b32, It’s quite a long circuit but only serves...
Replies
Views
So was on a call out today and cooker circuit kept tripping the RCD. Disconnected at the board and at the cooker switch and IR’d the cable and...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. Hopefully someone can help with a little mystery i had today. The issue is fixed but I want to understand what was going on to help...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock