Discuss Ring main MCB tripping, nothing plugged in. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Bit of a confusing one. I have a ring main on a 32A mcb. The MCB keeps tripping, sometimes the circuit will stay on for around half an hour then suddenly trip. This is still tripping with nothing plugged in. I have checked all sockets and made sure all connections are tight inside and sockets or switched spurs. Im not sure how the ring was wired as the cables inside the DB are the old colours yet all the cables i have checked that i can gain access too are the new colours so i believe there is more into it. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience of this before and if so what i should be looking for as im stumped? Is it a break in the cable? but why would it stay live for 30 mins then suddenly trip?

need to test the circuit. esp.IR tests and a leakage clamp meter would come in handy. it could even be a faulty RCD or leakage on other circuits adding to any leakage on the ring circuit. doytou have access to test gear? if not, all you can try is to switch all other breakers off except the ring breaker, then see if it still trips. failing which call in an electrician.

Hello everyone,

Bit of a confusing one. I have a ring main on a 32A mcb. The MCB keeps tripping, sometimes the circuit will stay on for around half an hour then suddenly trip. This is still tripping with nothing plugged in. I have checked all sockets and made sure all connections are tight inside and sockets or switched spurs. Im not sure how the ring was wired as the cables inside the DB are the old colours yet all the cables i have checked that i can gain access too are the new colours so i believe there is more into it. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience of this before and if so what i should be looking for as im stumped? Is it a break in the cable? but why would it stay live for 30 mins then suddenly trip?
If you are 100% sure nothing is plugged in or connected via a spur unit, then I would guess you need to look at what ever doesn't work when the CB is Off.
Is the OCPD an RCBO, or just a plain CB.
Best advice get an electrician in to carry out some testing IR continuity etc.

Hello everyone,

Any recent work been done on the electrics?

Have you got test equipment, if so what are your readings, if not you need an electrician as you could be looking for a needle in a haystack. Do you have an RCD as well as an mcb?

D
The MCB is on a spit board. The main RCD does not trip, only the MCB. ive taken all the fuses out of the FCU as well.
definitely need some electrical testing done soonest, any water leaks recently, outside lighting tagged on the the Ring Final Circuit (RFC) ?

there is an outside light on the circuit but when i switch the circuit on the light works no problem but after 30mins the circuit will trip. even when i take the fuse out of the FCU controlling the outside light it will trip with nothing visibly on the circuit.

might just be a simple case of a tired MCB> for the sake of £3 ish, bung a new one in.

No amount of Google searching now will help you unless you next buy some test kit for about £400 and then learn how to use it

Sorry if this isn't what you want to be told

If your MCB is tripping after 30 minutes then it would appear to be an overload, as a simple check, look at the speed your meter is going round or the speed with which the little red light is flashing on the meter, then turn on the MCB and see if it is now very fast, then switch off and check again that it has slowed down. The MCB would also not be able to be reset immediately after tripping.
If this is the case then there is a significant fault on the circuit (or possibly something you do not realise is part of the socket circuit) and repeated attempts to reset the MCB will probably make the fault worse until it really shorts out.
If this is the case then getting some testing done would be a priority.
Just make sure your oven and immersion heater are not also on the same circuit as they are ones that could experience this sort of fault but normally only briefly until they fail completely.

Not a direct short, or the MCB would never reset. Does the RCD work with the test button? It may also be faulty and not operating as it should.
New colours at CU but not in the back of any socket suggest a joint box somewhere or a socket you don't know about?
A cable may be getting squashed under a floorboard or in the back of a socket. Any with more than 2 sets of cables in a 25mm deep box?

There really is only one option for you; all together now... "Get an electrician in with the right test gear"

Hi,i did a post relating to this exact issue,a while ago. The client reported the fault,as you have described,and two different sparks,had tried and failed to find the cause.

To be honest,i had a bit of luck,but i'll take that,on top of proper technique. An IR test,had revealed nothing,and the fact it tripped the MCB more often in the afternoon,when it had warmed up a tad,led me to start a physical inspection,in the conservatory.

It was the third double socket outlet,which had two conductors pressed together hard enough,to thin the insulation...very hard to see,just the merest shadow of soot...

It could be cables bunched under a floor board,or over a hot pipe...you may need to get determined spark,in :)

Had something similar - not so hard to find though. Immersion MCB would only stay on for "about half an hour". Cause found to be a big nail driven through the airing cupboard wall and the cable. The nail was not new, but had "recently" made sufficient contact for current to flow. Looks like it'd been cooking for a while before the MCB started to trip.

IMG_1006.JPG

Last edited:

Reply to Ring main MCB tripping, nothing plugged in. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net