• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Ring main r1+r2 reading really low - 0.01? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

tomodo

-
Reaction score
hi guys just wired up a new ring main for a house, confused on the test results though, firstly all other ring mains in the house that are new are okay and have came out as expected, tester has just been calibrated and batterys are okay and the ring main is a true ring... am using a metrel tester with the easy switch adaptor and have connected up right for testing at board.

Results for dodgy ring main are as follows
L-L 0.80 ohms
N-N 0.81 ohms
E-E 1.25 ohms

R1+rn 0.52 ohms
R1 + R2 0.01 ohms

Does anybody have any ideas why the r1+r2 reading is so low? I have read else where it could be to do with the metal backboxes being bonded making a parrellel path is this common?

Cheers for reading be grateful for any replys

I suspect you have a short between line and CPC.

Do a quick IR test... L-N, L-E, N-E... I think you'll get good readings for L-N and N-E and a very poor result for L-E.

To find it, try linking line and CPC at the board on one leg only... Test the outlets and record the results. The further you get from the board, the results should go up, increasing the further you get from the board. If you find they go up and then down... check the accessories with the lowest values as there's likely to be a short in the back box or on the leg of cable between the two with the lowest values.

I have an easi switch, but gave up using it a long time ago .....

Are you 100 % sure you connected it all correctly to the 6 ends?

Hi bud,have you done any other testing,apart from at the board?

...It is also only a matter of time,before the terminology police begin r1r2/R1R2 questioning...;)

With a reading of 0.01 ohms it would be less than a meter away if using 2.5/1.5.

R1+R2 of 2.5/1.5 is 0.019 per meter.

I tripled doubled checked i had it connected right! But thanks i will try that tomorrow, l-e did have a lower IR at 500v then n-e and l-n it was around 100M ohms though so well in allowance but normally i would expect over 999Mohm could the 100Mohms be low enough to be giving me the bad r1r2 readings? And also circuit works fine live?

And 123 the easy switch is from metrel does all your ring main tests in one go without having to mess about with connector blocks , not sure if id reccomend though yet

I will let you know the outcome

had a similar scenario a while back when replacing a part of a damaged RFC, the electrician who did the original install had twisted the 2 cpc's together in the back of the consumer unit, they were then separated out and sleeved to the earth bar in the CU, so at first glance appeared separate, it caused a little confusion at first, as soon as i untwisted the wires so they were not touching, I got sensible results.

Reply to Ring main r1+r2 reading really low - 0.01? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back