Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

ring main

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum' started by trickyb, Feb 25, 2012.

Discuss ring main in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. trickyb

trickyb Guest

OK all heres the scenario fitting new cu in a house its on old 3036 type no rcds in sight . anyway testing reveles no ring curcuit one 2.5 supplys all sockets the other 2.5 in the same fuse holder supplys one socket upstairs in corner bedroom ? took socket off has 2 live & 2 neutral black/red wires ? propity has been extended at back and side . not been in this trade long but is it common practice to put a ring upstairs and spur downstairs ? because all groundfloor sockets look like spurs. :smile5:

2. i=p/u

i=p/u Trusted Advisor

vew pics, might help somone awnser,, very hard to give an awnser

3. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Did a CU change on a house like this lately - had ring circuit but all sockets have 1 wire - 1970 ish (must be loads of hidden JB's)

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  4. spark 68

spark 68 Electrician's Arms

I have seen on older properties, a front-back split (division) of circuits, rather than the more usual upstairs downstairs, and on occasion where there has been a full height extension added, a side to side split.

I think this was done prior to the advent of the splitload CU, so that you could still have power and lighting on each floor, if a fuse blew, some of the more senior members may care to elaborate

5. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

What rating is the fuse?
    Sounds like it should be 20A.

6. Guitarist

Guitarist Trusted Advisor

During the 70's many builders installed a ring main upstairs then dropped spurs to each downstairs socket to save money on cabling.....

• Like Like x 2
  7. Guitarist

Was considered adequate at the time as most households owned about 6 things needing a mains supply :cheesy:

• Like Like x 1
  8. trickyb

trickyb Guest

Hi had a 32A fuse in the ring curcuit or should i say what it supposed to be a ring! don,t think it,s all radials not with 9 sockets on one wire and 1 on another!should i try to join ring?

9. brucelee

brucelee Trusted Advisor

same as my brothers a ring hidden under floorboards WITH LEGS TO DOWNSTAIRS SOCKETS the upstairs are wired as normal they must have done it to save on cable lol
    and that the best of the wiring

10. trickyb

trickyb Guest

so what your trying to tell me is this house is full of JB,s ! lol

11. brucelee

brucelee Trusted Advisor

possibly mate
    at the board you have 2 legs upon testing you revealed one radial had one socket did you say though that this had two individual T/E if so were does the other cable go ?
    and the other 9 do they all have 2 legs or has one got 1 leg
    If so then maybe at some point someone has disconnected the ring and made it 2 radials maybe due to fault but then didnt replace the fuse with A SMALLER RATING AS SPIN SAYS 20A or they were doing a little DIY
    or try to locate the break if there is one it could just be it was wired as a radial with 9 sockets then someone ran another seperate radial to supply the individual skt

so on testing you had no end to end reading on the Lines, neutrals and cpcs

try testing from ccu to first socket and so on to find the last of the 9 skts if this has 2 CABLES WERE DOES THE OTHER GO

in my brothers house its the same as i described above
    then there is also a seperate radial circuit to a JB its looks like 4mm but is stranded imperial then from the JB there are 3 seperate 2.5mm equivalent imperial twins supplying 2 sockets in living room and 1 in the hall
    then the other circuit is a ring circuit under floor with a single drops to sockets in living room and hall
    half the kitchen is wired to this ring then the newer part which is a extension into the old attached garage has a newer ring installed from a seperate ccu
    this will be my next project and it would be easier to rewire but not possible
    all upstairs have the correct wiring well of a fashion

12. Guitarist

The spurs were often straight out of the backs of the upstairs sockets so may not be many jb's at all.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rockingit

Rockingit Electrician's Arms

Well I guess that even now in 17th, there's nothing technically wrong in wiring one circuit (be it ring or radial) upstairs and dropping spurs from each point to run down, it's just not that clever an idea, really, and makes it a real sod for the next sparks in the place to diagnose a fault!!

14. rich.250

rich.250 Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Rich Williams Electrical
    A 2.5 to a jb then spider off to everything seems to be common in older places. On a 30a,
    Needs to be down rated as spin and a few said to 20a max.

Just cos the socket has two cables in the back doesn't mean it's a ring necessarily......

• Like Like x 1
  15. rich.250

rich.250 Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Rich Williams Electrical
    Do people have to use the term ring main.....
    You could try and put a socket on a ring main. Be a good watch.
    Maybe I'm grumpy this morn.
    Sorry guys

• Like Like x 2