Discuss Ring mains continuity test-problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I

isaiah64

Good day,

Just a quick one, on testing a ring main continuity test. After following the following sequence on a existing circuit.
he problem have is on my Cpc - Cpc. The reading I am getting s open circuit. But when test L1-Cpc2 and L2 - Cpc1 he reading am getting is inconstant. Would appreciate in input in my question as I am probability just missing something small.

My conclusion on this is There I a lose connection and the way to fix it is to do a r2 test between the connections on the ring.

Thanks

Test
L1 - L2
N1 - N2
Cpc1 - Cpc2

Then
L1 - N2
L1 - N1

Then

L1 - Cpc2
L2 - Cpc1

If your r2 result is showing open circuit then you are correct that there is no end to end continuity on the ring cpc and as you say most likely due to a loose connection.

Using the R2 wander lead method of testing from one leg of the cpc to the earth of each socket should show the sockets up to which that leg is connected at the socket where you lose continuity the disconnection will be either at that socket or at the one just before it in the ring.
Ring mains continuity test-problem Ring CPC break - EletriciansForums.net

How many sockets are we talking about? Visual inspection is the way forward here. Chances are if the earths have come out the terminals, then other connections may also be dodgy.
20 sockets? 5 min a socket ? Less than 2 hours and all is checked, sleep easy!

If the circuit is already live its worth a quick walk around doing a Zs at each and every outlet on the circuit and see if if you get a "big" difference between 2 sockets - if so try these first.

If the circuit is not live yet, don't try the above idea.

If the circuit is already live its worth a quick walk around doing a Zs at each and every outlet on the circuit and see if if you get a "big" difference between 2 sockets - if so try these first.

Thank you for the advise, found fault. Fault was found by use of r2 wondering lead. Lose connection! HAHA.

or interest sake I used the loop impudence method and fault was also detected as the reading between socket was mjor difference.

thanks

Thank you for the advise, found fault. Fault was found by use of r2 wondering lead. Lose connection! HAHA.

or interest sake I used the loop impudence method and fault was also detected as the reading between socket was mjor difference.

well, at least you didn't have to go lifting floors and chopping walls out. lol. cheers for getting back with a result.

Reply to Ring mains continuity test-problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock