Discuss Ring mains? Is this true? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

djlander

Hi guys,
I have Hurd a few times now that ring mains will soon be fazed out due to the risk of danger if the ring is split! Is it now advisable to just install radial circuits?

Thanks for your help

Strange, I heard radials were being fazed out incase they got connected in a ring.

This story does the rounds every couple of years, usually spouted at college .

I'd be more concerned if they thought Ring final circuits was going to be phased out to be honest. Not a lot of call for ring mains in LV systems, perhaps the odd street lighting circuit, or a large complex HV system.

So what is best? Ring or radial? I'm due to rewire an office block it's medium sized, each circuit will have no more than 12 double sockets to supply 4 to 5 computers and desks, what would you do? There is about 10 socket circuits in total

i would use radials , no more than 10 IT% items per circuit. will you have RCD protection? if so leakage could be a problem, also hi integrity earthing is desirable.

i would use radials , no more than 10 IT% items per circuit. will you have RCD protection? if so leakage could be a problem, also hi integrity earthing is desirable.

No RCD protection as it's for IT but do you Mean tuning around and extra earth with the circuit to get the hi integrity earth?

It's been in discussions for many years now. I myself always raise awareness to delegates about the considerations that are made for this to be an issue.
The last time I brought it up with Geoff Cronshaw I got feedback that the consideration would be to restrict them only to installations under the control of skilled/instructed persons.

I personally don't think they will ever remove the ring final circuit. If they were, it would require an incident of some kind directly resulting from the area of concern that would motivate the change. IMO

No RCD protection as it's for IT but do you Mean tuning around and extra earth with the circuit to get the hi integrity earth?
if using radials, you need to run the cpc as a ring-- use separate earth terminals on the sockets and in the DB.

We always wire, if not using power trac systems a 4mm ring, without RCD protection.

If your using a radial circuit for high protective current equipment you will need to have your CPC 10mm unless you run a 4mm CPC out in your and a sepearte 6mm back.

By wiring it in a ring you can drastically reduce cable size. You can in fact wire it in 2.5mm as a conventional ring using T+E or singles but we just prefer 4mm.

Is it not the case that if high integrity earthing exceeds the 10mA,ring finals are the best option
The cpcs negate the need for a seperate conductor with radials

How come the replies are quicker from Arabland than Taffland Malc
Ring mains? Is this true? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Last edited:
How come the replies are quicker from Arabland than Taffland Malc
Ring mains? Is this true? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

they've got electrickery in arabland. :45:

As we get nearer to "European Harmonisation" the only thing left to phase out is ring final circuits and the 13A plug top so look out in the 10 years also someon has invented a 13A plug top that a european plug fits inside.

And why 10 years well even the scheme providor know and realise that this is the next big move ie new Big Blue Book Blue onsite guide but after the green phase in they will have to wait a while

We always wire, if not using power trac systems a 4mm ring, without RCD protection.

If your using a radial circuit for high protective current equipment you will need to have your CPC 10mm unless you run a 4mm CPC out in your and a sepearte 6mm back.

By wiring it in a ring you can drastically reduce cable size. You can in fact wire it in 2.5mm as a conventional ring using T+E or singles but we just prefer 4mm.

Quite agree, RFCs are always going to be a better solution on circuits supplying IT loads. And as you say, going a cable size higher also makes a lot of sense on IT installations...

EDIT.... Forgot to mention, ....Not with T&E type cables, the CPC must be the same size as the line conductors if using a multi core cable!!

Last edited by a moderator:
RFCs have their place. so do radials. F' rinstance, i would not install a RFC to 3 bedrooms that only pulled 5A for tellys etc. then again, i would not install a radial to feed a washing machine, dishwasher, tumble dryer, kettle, etc. common sense is the rule .

Reply to Ring mains? Is this true? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock