Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Ring mains? Is this true? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. djlander

djlander EF Member

Hi guys,
    I have Hurd a few times now that ring mains will soon be fazed out due to the risk of danger if the ring is split! Is it now advisable to just install radial circuits?

Thanks for your help

2. highspark

highspark Electrician's Arms

Rings are still ok. But I always use radials now. Even on kitchens, I just have two radials

3. needasparks

needasparks Electrician's Arms

Strange, I heard radials were being fazed out incase they got connected in a ring.

This story does the rounds every couple of years, usually spouted at college .

• Like Like x 2
  4. leonard

leonard Regular EF Member

Ring mains are 11Kv you mean ring final circuit!!!!

5. Guest111

Guest111 Guest

the way they muck things about i,m suprised we aint gone back to round pin plugs and 1 socket per fuse like years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  6. malcolmsanford

malcolmsanford Trusted Advisor

I'd be more concerned if they thought Ring final circuits was going to be phased out to be honest. Not a lot of call for ring mains in LV systems, perhaps the odd street lighting circuit, or a large complex HV system.

7. djlander

djlander EF Member

So what is best? Ring or radial? I'm due to rewire an office block it's medium sized, each circuit will have no more than 12 double sockets to supply 4 to 5 computers and desks, what would you do? There is about 10 socket circuits in total

8. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    i would use radials , no more than 10 IT% items per circuit. will you have RCD protection? if so leakage could be a problem, also hi integrity earthing is desirable.

• Like Like x 2
  9. djlander

djlander EF Member

No RCD protection as it's for IT but do you Mean tuning around and extra earth with the circuit to get the hi integrity earth?

10. widdler

widdler Trusted Advisor

It's been in discussions for many years now. I myself always raise awareness to delegates about the considerations that are made for this to be an issue.
    The last time I brought it up with Geoff Cronshaw I got feedback that the consideration would be to restrict them only to installations under the control of skilled/instructed persons.

I personally don't think they will ever remove the ring final circuit. If they were, it would require an incident of some kind directly resulting from the area of concern that would motivate the change. IMO

11. djlander

djlander EF Member

I maenads running around an extra earth? Stupid iPad's predictive text

12. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    if using radials, you need to run the cpc as a ring-- use separate earth terminals on the sockets and in the DB.

• Like Like x 1
  13. malcolmsanford

malcolmsanford Trusted Advisor

We always wire, if not using power trac systems a 4mm ring, without RCD protection.

If your using a radial circuit for high protective current equipment you will need to have your CPC 10mm unless you run a 4mm CPC out in your and a sepearte 6mm back.

By wiring it in a ring you can drastically reduce cable size. You can in fact wire it in 2.5mm as a conventional ring using T+E or singles but we just prefer 4mm.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Des 56

Des 56 Trusted Advisor

Is it not the case that if high integrity earthing exceeds the 10mA,ring finals are the best option
    The cpcs negate the need for a seperate conductor with radials

How come the replies are quicker from Arabland than Taffland Malc [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  15. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    How come the replies are quicker from Arabland than Taffland Malc [​IMG]

they've got electrickery in arabland. :45:

• Like Like x 2