Discuss ring mains joined in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

georges

continutity tested both rings no earth on 1 and no live on the other every thing works on sockets when swiched on but get high readings on 1 ring when other reads ok help please every thing diconnected from sockets when tested

You could start by checking all conductors are securely terminated behind each socket. Then if you have a wander lead, go from the board to each socket, or socket to socket until you find discontinuity between two points to narrow down where the break might be.

thanks for advice was checking it like that not making any head way then found junction box very badly corroded crossing all wires.
thanks again problem solved:D

When you say no live do you mean no end to end reading, what i do is remove one leg of ring main power it up and go round the sockets with a 3 light socket tester make a note where you get no earth (at the socket)
Then do the same with the other leg connected up and hopefully you will get the same fault at the same socket or the socket before it or after it that then narrows it down to that area. Iam not very good at explaining stuff like this in writing but hope you get the idea

Reply to ring mains joined in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi guys. Having a weird problem in a house that has suddenly happened. One half of the ring main has 240ish volts (fluctuates of course), and...
Replies
Views
Hello All and happy new year. Over the holiay I have changed all of my old sockets to some nice new ones and added a couple with usb sockets for...
Replies
Views
Private tenant since 2011. First ever eicr February 23 informed via text it failed by text from electric secretary arranging appointment for...
Replies
Views
I'm practising EICRs on friendly locations as I'm still in training - technically done my 2391-52 but frankly need loads more practise. I've just...
Replies
Views
Please advise what I should test / check next. My usual qualified electrician who did all of the work here is in Ireland for 4 weeks and not...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock