Discuss Ring spurred at origin? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

This is somewhat unconventional and is clearly ad hoc, yes it should be on its own circuit as I have also suggested but the limitations of what can be added to this spur is clouded by the cable size, 4.0. Appendix 15 which is informative does not demonstrate the use of 4.0 cables/conductors.
Yes it does on a 32 or 30Amp Radial circuit
Wired in 4mm2
2oAmp Radial wired in 2.5mm2

if the CU is in the garage anyway, why not split the tails with \Henley blocks and fit a "garage board". RCD + 2/3 MCBs. then a fault in the garage will not saffect the house CU andyou would have a spare way/s. a 4mm 32A radial for sockets, 6A MCB for lights.....

I assume that need to be notifiable under Part P?

Yes it does on a 32 or 30Amp Radial circuit
Wired in 4mm2
2oAmp Radial wired in 2.5mm2
I am talking ring final circuits. But yes you could consider this a 4.0 radial so I see no need for a fcu but circuit separation should be employed.

Thanks all.

Tempted to leave it as is for the time being and not add any additional sockets. There's a bathroom renovation on the cards soon where there is an electric shower running from a dedicated circuit. Once that has been decommissioned I'll ask he electrician to create a dedicated circuit for the garage sockets.

Adding/altering this existing circuit would not be notifiable.

The more I read this thread the more confusing it becomes.

As far as I see it,

There is nothing wrong with a spur on a Rfc taken from the CU.
Its in the OSG 7.2.2 para 4.

The spur would normally be in 2.5mm2, but the fact that it's in 4mm2 is not a problem. (Might be a big garage, VD and all that)

If the socket is replaced with a FCU then there's no limit on how many sockets can be connected to the load side, as long as your happy with the 13 amp limitation.

As this is not a new circuit then it does not require Part P notification.

Is this because it's on a B32 MCB?
It's a spur from a 2.5mm2 RFC albeit from the CU, no problem with that, why 4.0mm2 was used is a mystery, it makes no difference to what you can and can't add, a spur is a spur, one twin or single socket only fed directly from the RFC without a FCU involved. Nothing to do with the B32 Amp CB rules is rules is rules.

Last edited:
As pete said, there isn't a rule, but there's nothing preventing it. Cable sizing in the guides are the "minimum " requirements.

We don't know the cable size in the RFC that the spur is connected to. The op has never declared that. The whole thing could be in 4mm2. It's pure speculation on our part that's its 2.5mm2 because that's the norm.

Reply to Ring spurred at origin? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock