Discuss Ring spurred at origin? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

As pete said, there isn't a rule, but there's nothing preventing it. Cable sizing in the guides are the "minimum " requirements.

We don't know the cable size in the RFC that the spur is connected to. The op has never declared that. The whole thing could be in 4mm2. It's pure speculation on our part that's its 2.5mm2 because that's the norm.
And the fact that the OP has mentioned 4.0mm2 on several occasions, but yes the assumption is/was that it is a RFC wired in 2.5mm2 cable. Thanks for pointing that out.:D

The question as to whether this 4.0 can take 32A is down to its installation method. The spur is somewhat unconventional as it stands.
? sorry can you clarify

Just interested - how long is this 4mm spur cable?

Considering the 4mm is connected at one end at the CU (located in the garage) and to a socket at the other end (also located in the garage) I'm presuming it's not that long, unless the garage is massive and the route is silly.

Duel post, no idea why, apologies

Last edited:
Ah okay thanks for the reply, I did wonder, that explains your post :thumbsup:
It will be fine though

Is this because it's on a B32 MCB?
Considering the 4mm is connected at one end at the CU (located in the garage) and to a socket at the other end (also located in the garage) I'm presuming it's not that long, unless the garage is massive and the route is silly.

Perhaps its the same guy, who had the bathroom in his bedroom the other day; or was it a bedroom in his bathroom?

I wouldn't agree that the 4mm^2 part of the circuit needs to be considered as an unfused spur from the ring final circuit at all.

In my view it is clearly a hybrid ring/radial final circuit and in no way is it one of the standard circuits.

Assuming that the 4mm^2 cable is afforded overload protection by the 32A circuit breaker then it isn't unsafe to add sockets to the radial part of the hybrid circuit.

Presumably it was done because spare ways were not available or whatever. As I stated before my concern with the arrangement is solely the fact that there is unlikely to be an adequate connection/clamping of all the circuit conductors when they are of varying cross-sectional areas, and for this reason I would consider the arrangement to be wholly unsatisfactory.

As I stated before my concern with the arrangement is solely the fact that there is unlikely to be an adequate connection/clamping of all the circuit conductors when they are of varying cross-sectional areas, and for this reason I would consider the arrangement to be wholly unsatisfactory.

I wouldn't dismiss a connection of two different cable sizes out of hand. I think that it depends entirely on the skill and conscientiousness of the person doing the job and the type of terminal involved. I've seen a pigs ear made of terminating a standard 2.5mm² ring, and I've also made a decent job of terminating different cable sizes into the same terminal.

Thanks all.

Tempted to leave it as is for the time being and not add any additional sockets. There's a bathroom renovation on the cards soon where there is an electric shower running from a dedicated circuit. Once that has been decommissioned I'll ask he electrician to create a dedicated circuit for the garage sockets.
I think that this would be a good idea.

What was the problem again?

As I see it:
There is no need to apply the '1 point' limit to the radial. That limit is imposed to avoid overloading the spur cable (normally the same size as the ring cable and hence unprotected against overload by the OCPD) and to avoid concentrating the load on the ring itself at a single point partway along. Neither circumstance applies here as the 4mm² is not undersize for the OCPD nor connected partway along the ring.

I am with Risteard in that my only real concern would be the 2 x 2.5 + 1 x 4.0 terminated in the CU terminals. Whether it is likely any worse a connection than 3 x 2.5 not very nicely done in the back of a socket-outlet, is moot. It's not a standard circuit configuration and might automatically be non-compliant, unless the 'alternative methods of equal safety' concept applies.

I wouldn't say inserting an FCU in order to add more socket-outlets would make it materially safer. It might technically make it slightly less safe as the fuse in the FCU would be potentially prone to long slight overload as are all FCUs feeding multi-point spurs, a situation which ought to be avoided if possible, without offering any benefit to the protection of the circuit (which is already OK). It would however make it compliant apart from the possible objection to the mixed cables in the termination.

Reply to Ring spurred at origin? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net