Discuss Rings or Radials .... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

Just started on a complete refurbishment / extension on a 3 bedroom property which is having a complete rewire.

I'm not keen on Dual RCD boards, nor trying to have as few circuits as possible ....

So when it comes to the socket circuits I was thinking of:

Radial 20A for hall, lounge and dining room
Ring 32A for kitchen
Radial 20A for upstairs

Anyone like to comment?

PS the plumber was asking me today why I was installing 35 mm boxes - he seemed to think 25 were always best!

Just started on a complete refurbishment / extension on a 3 bedroom property which is having a complete rewire.

I'm not keen on Dual RCD boards, nor trying to have as few circuits as possible ....

So when it comes to the socket circuits I was thinking of:

Radial 20A for hall, lounge and dining room
Ring 32A for kitchen
Radial 20A for upstairs

Anyone like to comment?

PS the plumber was asking me today why I was installing 35 mm boxes - he seemed to think 25 were always best!
If you don't like dual RCD boards do you intend using RCBOs? I would imagine it's your choice what size back boxes you use, why is the Plumber sticking his oar in? sometimes the deeper the back box the better. Maybe in questioning your choice of back boxes, he was gleaning information from you, ask him why he is using the size of pipe he has chosen, just for a laugh.

Why not a 32 amp radial for the kitchen using 4mm cable then you won’t have any rings?
Depends as well if your using 2.5mm for a 20amp radial that you don’t exceed the maximum zs for the mcb which will be 2.19 ohms for a type B that is 1.75 ohms with rule of thumb and if it’s larger that the recommendations in appendix 15 you may have volt drop issues.
Perhaps 4mm radials for all 3 if you don’t want to install ring finals on 32 amp mcbs reference method permitting.

Ps I only ever use 35mm with things like fused spurs or if I’m fitting flat plate sockets.
It’s true that you’ll probably have more flexibility with 35mm but they you go.
Try asking my gaffer to start fitting bigger than 25mm boxes for sockets on new builds I know what the answer is............

Last edited:
IMO, if you are rewiring RFC always, as for the split board, up to you if the client will spend the money RCBO's, I like that option anyway. 35mm boxes more bashing so what.

I have a very vague memory of using 25 mm boxes
The memory seems to coincide with some numpty coming up with the idea of making flat plate accessories

The scary part is that there were customers who actually liked the monstrosities,it made me realise they were here to stay and the days of the good old 25mm box were history:)
I believe it was satin himself

Reply to Rings or Radials .... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net