Discuss Rise and fall double socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Doing a job in a restaurant, and owner would like sockets hung from the ceiling that can retract back to ceiling after use. Any ideas? Personally thought the only option would be something rigid because of potential damage etc. Any advice on alternatives appreciated!

Thanks!

We have a few overhead tool balancers above the benches in our workshop but I've never seen a similar system for power sockets. I've seen a motorised retractable service column in a hospital operating theatre ceiling that had a vacuum point, oxygen point and lighting affixed to it but I'd imagine it cost an absolute fortune. Why specifically do they need the sockets to 'retract'?

I'm definitely intrigued as to why he wants them. I don't recall ever needing to plug something in while I'm having my meal :) Daz

Yes, why do they want sockets hung from the ceiling? Normally if you wanted sockets in the middle of a room you'd use floor sockets, especially if aesthetics are a consideration.
What are they going to be used for?

Retractable drum systems are available. You can get drums which you fit whatever cable you want onto. The roof of the Albert hall is full of big ones for the stage lighting multicores

Thanks for the feedback. So its to hover over the bakers work station, so going to have loads of flour etc all over the work surface, and the sockets are incase he wants to plug a mixer or something in. It's all open plan so customers can see. Hopefully I've painted a half decent picture! Haven't seen any myself except for the bulky workshop ones. I did consult my local CEF who are still on the case as of this afternoon lol

But you will have to fully extend the cord before using anything with significant load.

i.e a welder.

Hi LeeH,

the above mentioned retractable outlets are an example of what we use as a tidy solution for an external welders bench on a drill ship. Means there are no trailing leads going across the decks while we are using 110V/208V power tools, which stops the buffoons damaging the cable.
The welding plants themselves are all 480V Miller types which supply multiple welding outlets throughout the rig and so we wouldn't use that type of retractable outlet for them.
Although you are right in 1 respect, our welder is indeed a significant load..... the fat **** :)
cheers
Dave

Reply to Rise and fall double socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net