Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss RJ45 - 3 damaged cores in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. calpol91

calpol91 Electrician's Arms

Hi.

I have a customer with a cat6 from his house to a workshop on his land further up. Most of the run is underground, and the pipe is fair tight.

3 of the cores are damaged at some point and he's reluctant to pull a new cable in if he can avoid it since its a massive run, although I have stressed that this is the best option.

If cores are in order 1 to 8 if I remember correctly it was 3, 4, and 5 that were damaged. maybe 4, 5, and 6. (Either way both blues and one of of the greens.)

As I understand it, the greens are the issue as the blues are not connected in a switch or router, so If I did a little moving around of the order of the cores and replace browns with the greens say, in the rj45 plug, could this work?

This cable is going straight from a router to a switch, no PoE or anything like that.

For the record I have googled it but I've seen different options on what the cores actually do, so I just need some guidance.

2. Spoon

Spoon Trusted Advisor

I'd go with Yes. As long as you are replacing a damaged twisted pair with a unused twisted pair I can't see the problem.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LeeH

LeeH Insert witty monkey comment here. Electrician's Arms

Just try it, nothing lost.

• Like Like x 1
  4. hightower

hightower Guest

If it's only being used for 10/100 speeds then reusing the other cores should prove successful. If it's being used for Gig ethernet, gig requires all 4 pairs so it would not be possible.

• Like Like x 2