Discuss Roberts Play 10 DAB Radio -- Can't Reset to Factory in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
This little radio is 2 or 3 years old and very handy for portable DAB. I use 4 x rechargeable AA batteries. Not mains-operated. There are 3 station presets but I can't erase them or even factory-reset the radio. It will accept a new station to any preset but the memory of it is lost on switching off and on again. Removing batteries doesn't help and there is no reset button for a bent paperclip.

Is there any emergency way of forcing re-set of the radio or clearing the station pre-sets? I've exhausted all the manual can offer. Thanks.

Thanks, friends ... unfortunately this issue is just beyond the scope of the manual (which I had previously followed), which states ...

In the event of a malfunction due to electrostatic discharge, mains power supply transients or short interruptions, reset the product as above to resume normal operation. If you are not able to perform the reset operation as above, removal and reconnection of the power supply and batteries may be required.

Power supply is 4 x AAs or 5v DC (never used; they don't supply transformer) and I naturally tried removing the batteries, fully recharging etc., even a non-rechargeable set. Problem is it will not delete the presets, nor remember stored stations after switching off and on again -- although it does until switched off.

One risky possibility might be to use my universal power supply and stick 6V or 7.5V through it in an attempt to reset. Or possibly try to locate any internal battery (used to power presets memory) and remove or replace it. It's a niggling problem as the set works well otherwise. Anything else I could try? Thanks.

If the radio has a power source (ie batteries) then plugging another power source will make no difference.

Have you tried the Roberts help desk?

Assuming you may require , 2 hands (No phone attached to ear)
Somewhere to sit in a quiet enviroment.
These may well be time limited instructions ,that must be practiced (so don't pause reading Instructions ) ... as any pauses probably mean -returning to the start .
Do any of the messages appear at steps 1-5
SYSTEM / FACTORY /RESET
With radio OFF
Step 1
Press and release the
On/Off
button to switch on the radio.
2. Press and release the
Menu
button. The main menu will show on the
display.
3. Rotate the
Tuning/Select
control until
'SYSTEM'
appears on the
display.
Press and release the
Tuning/Select
control.
4. Rotate the
Tuning/Select control until
'FACTORY'
appears on the
display. Press and release the
Tuning/Select
control.
'RESET'
will
show on the display.
5. Press and release the
Tuning/Select
control.
6. A full reset will be performed.

---------------
My Acoustic solutions one needed
a " Knack " with timing .
And did not need me to hold
it between my knees for 2 free hands !
---------
Please report progres
..Do Normal Menu items appear
..Do you ever see SYSTEM ...

----- If all messages are as should be ---
Internal Memory Battery -may be dead !(or-worn-out)
(but I would expect to see a warning !) Some where in menu !

Last edited:
Yes, all the LCD messages appear correctly -- it just doesn't reset as claimed. Software probably corrupted but cost of postage, labour etc., to fix may exceed cost of unit (£45). Helpdesk is probably going to ask me to send it in for checking. There is no facility for users to plug in a cable for a software fix and no reset button anywhere. Just wondered if there might be something more I could do, or unplug temporarily, with the case removed?

Apart from the inability to change stored stations, the set works fine. With hindsight I should have changed them from time to time instead of leaving the same 3 stations stored (LBC, R4 & World Service). It's 19 months old.

If you bought your radio from john lewis, there is a 2 year warranty.
Not sure about other vendors. Why not ring the helpline on 03330 142 505 and ask?

It may well be resetting ,to 3 default choices .
That you should be able to change , and have the unit remember ....

(Sounds like a fault ,similar to Windows -self restarts )
Keeps things in RAM , but will not save properly !
--As others have mentioned -Call the Experts--

The Roberts helpline said fault was unusual but recommended taking batteries out for 48 hours. Currently doing so. Said likely a software fault which user can't rectify. Repair cost is £35, inclusive of postage. Radio costs £45 new.

If things start-up weird , Do make sure no buttons are stuck/stiff/angled-funny..if it has any.
(Some equipment can produce weird symptoms with -unusual conditions at turn-on ) ...
More likely to be a dry solder Joint / Failed Non Volatile memory ...
Re-soldering the really small stuff has added to service costs .
--(and the gamble things get worst--If a component-failed)--
It's a pitty , built to last has gone out of fashion.
--Cheers for the progress report--

Last edited:
Yes, could be a hardware issue, or software; no buttons are sticking. Anyway the 48-hour no-battery test failed to resolve the failure to clear the station memories and reset. Following the factory reset instructions afterwards prompted a re-tune of stations but would not clear the presets. I can still preset to other stations but these are lost on rebooting. So I'm stuck with LBC, R4 & World Service for ever -- could be worse.

I guess I'll just have to live with this minor irritation. Occasionally it jumps out of station too (to a random one), requiring depression of one of the three station-memory buttons. It's an excellent portable radio otherwise; I may as well soldier on and put the £35 repair fee towards a new one when it completely fails.

In law I actually have 6 years in which to make a claim for faults but, after the first 6 months of possession, the burden of proof is on me to demonstrate the set was faulty when supplied. Again, not worth pursuing for such a low-value appliance, and Roberts probably knows it. Thus the cycle of premature failure continues, fostering sales of new equipment.

Reply to Roberts Play 10 DAB Radio -- Can't Reset to Factory in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock