Discuss Room Stat height in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

New biuld projects should really be focusing on a fully integrated control system housed by the point of entry and controlled via a contactor by a swipe card. From there on automated systems with remote controls, alarms systems are automatically activated either by the swipe card exit and or by remote control. No need for room stats, use thermostatically controlled radiator values for each room.... I can't understand why there isn't more of this euro technology about.....:bucktooth:

It's not a new build, its a complete refurb with an extension. Building control inspector has apparently pulled a whole host of little issues, the stat height is the only issue I have to worry about though.

I'm hoping manufacturers instructions will solve the issue. It's not holding up anything with regards to having building control sign the job off and the job is local to me. Happy enough as everyone else seems to fit them at 5Ft/1.5M and manufacturers recommend it also.

if its a refurb then even the heights of the switches and sockets dont have to be between 1200 and 450, you can put em where you like, pge 136 electricians guide to the building regs.

"The guidance given in approved document M applies to all new dwellings. Note that if a dwelling is rewired there is no requirement to provide the measures described above providing that upon completion the building is no worse in terms of the level of compliance with the other parts of schedule 1 to the building regulations.

Part of the refurb is Northern Ireland Housing Exec grant funded, and they do specify the heights for switches and sockets. Its got Building Control all over every aspect as well, but the install is well above the spec of any building requirements here. The likes of Carbon Monoxide Alarms installed, Smoke Detectors in bedrooms, fire rated down lights used throughout (30min fire rated ceilings only needed on escape routes and same for downlights on those ceilings, rest doesn't matter generally!)

Large part of it is private funded too, think the aim was for it to be "future proof" hence the higher spec. Cat 5 + 2 coax to every TV point as well. I have no idea what all the Housing Exec Grant covers, and that can be another bunch of hitlers as well! The place has gone from being a 2 bed semi with a box room to adding a utility room, extra bathroom, changing to 4 good sized bedrooms and a loft conversion as well.

I guess if its going to be your home and you have a clue about how you want it then get it all done now. The heating system probably lets it all down though, single zone system with just the single problem stat in it. TRV's throughout but its not how I'd do it if I was spending the money!

Issue resolved - the room stat remains where it is. Different inspector, manufacturers instructions given, not sure which part mattered more but job is signed off now.

did have one want us to put a fan in a small room which had a belfast sink with a cold tap just for washing boots he wanted it in because of steam , it was only a cold tap no hot not even a hole for a hot tap think the only steam in there was comming out of my ears with frustration !!!

Ive always felt if you help others they'll help you, doesnt take much to help some one out but it can mean an awful lot , thank you for you comments D80 there are some fantastic sparks on this forum thats why im still on it not saying im fantastic that is lol im ok lol

Reply to Room Stat height in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net