Discuss Rotary switches. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, As daft as it seems I have never installed a rotary isolation switch in my life. I've wired for an AHSP whereby 2 x 1 circuits are required, one of which was wired in 10.0mm. AHSP installers require 2 x isolator switches indoors by control equipment. They insist on isolator switches indoors so that they can lock off if working on the AHSP itself. Question is, what make / type >1 Phase surface isolator switch capable of terminating 10mm cable be suitable? I only require it to be 32amp, but would it be better to use a larger amp switch in order to terminate? Thanks

you can use a 100A isolator if you want. as long as it's rating is above the actual current, it's not an OCPD, is it?

you can use a 100A isolator if you want. as long as it's rating is above the actual current, it's not an OCPD, is it?

No , purely for isolation purposes only. i did the customer when going into the electrical wholesalers to get 2 x 50 amp 1 phase surface rotary switches. They said didn't do 50 amp. Also they wanted to know if 40A or 60A would be OK and if 3 or 4 pole? Do they not do just a 2 pole?

use 60A 3 or 4 pole isolators. you don't need to use all 3/4 poles.

a 32 amp rotary isolator will be fine, for the ASHP unit. can i ask what ashp isit?
sorry, I don't know the type AHSP. when first fixing a 10mm and a 6mm were required, but now 2 x 6mm would of been OK. apparently newer model doesn't require so much power. I just want to make sure that i can terminate 10mm cables into a switch. My thinking is go larger than 32A.

so you should. no point in running an isolator at it's max.

They stock whats most popular these days, use the poles you need the rest wont eat or drink anything.
Get the biggest size wise thats acceptable especially if wiring swa cus they can be fiddly little buggers, especially 3p+N&E in larger cable sizes.

Just buy the first decent brand one you come across. You would be wise to go for a 63A one to make it easier to terminate, as mentioned they can be fiddly. Most of them have knockouts if not just do what everyone else does and use a hole saw!

Reply to Rotary switches. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net